Day 14 - Still Cloudy. Dirt Catcher problem?

Jul 18, 2012
Harpers Ferry, WV
I started out on 8 May 2014 with a dark green pool. I hooked up my pump and filled the pool to the middle of the skimmer with well water. My CYA then was not measurable (totally clear solution). So after scooping out leaves and such over the next week I was adding 8.5% bleach to keep the FC at 10. I swapped and cleaned the cartridge filter 3 times. I added about 4 lbs. of baking soda.

On 14-15 May we got about 4" of rain. I emptied water off the top to get it down to skimmer level.

I added about 1 lb. of cya granular stabilizer last week. As of 2:40 PM Tuesday, 20 May 2014, my readings were:

FC 12.5
CC 0
Ph 7.0
TA 50
CH 50
CYA 35

I added 60 oz. 8.5% bleach last night. FC went up to 16 and is still there this morning.

HOWEVER, water is still cloudy. I can see down about 18-24".

On Monday, 19 May, when I removed the cartridge the tower of the dirt catcher came out with it. I removed the tower and reinserted it with the other cartridge. PSI had been at 22 and went down to 12. There is no water leaking.

Should I replace the dirt catcher AGAIN (just did this 2 years ago) or can I glue it back together?? $80 is a lot to me right now.

15 May 2014 Before Rain

21 May 2014 After Rain

Last edited:
Am I correct in understanding that it fits inside the cartridge, so the water flows through it before reaching the cartridge ?

The cartridge does indeed fit over it, but I don't know that water flows through it first.

I got some J B Waterweld at the Home Depot this evening. I'm planning to take apart the filter assembly and see if I can fix it (it is broken apart at the base).

I think it'll be better than I feared.

The plastic is not actually broken but the vertical part was originally glued to the base and that came undone. My next step is to Waterweld it back together.

It turns out that the water flows around and through the cartridge before entering the top of the dirt catcher then down and out the return. When the tower came unglued that allowed water to go directly through the return at the bottom

Now the filter housing plug is leaking and the J B Waterweld was not the right thing to use. (I had to scrape off what I put on this morning). Maybe some Gorilla Glue on the dirt catcher and Teflon tape on the plug will work. I'll probably wait until tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I went out this morning to see about fixing the filter. I thought I had left it disassembled but it was all put together. I thought my husband had fixed it so I turned the pump on. Pressure was back and there was no leak so I left it running. It's cleaning up the pool. (I can see two feet down now). FC was probably ok. I'll check again shortly because I just made a bleach run to town.

Funny thing is: my husband came home from work and he said he never touched the filter last night. GO FIGURE!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.