powering a set of TIC GS5's - looking for opinions.

mrcarcrazy

TFP Guide
Jan 21, 2014
Tx coast
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Now that the pool project it moving along nicely it's time to add some tunes to the backyard. I'm thinking a simple amp with bluetooth receiver in a weatherproof box. Much like Kodiak1120 did in his thread (http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72263-DIY-Outdoor-Bluetooth-Speakers)

The question is what amp....I'm curious of what other TIC GS5 owners are using to power these guys. I like the mini amps due to my ability to slap them in an outdoor box and not worry about it...but am of the impression that 50w+ RMS would be a wise move to get the most out of these speakers. I've noticed that many of the mini amps may claim to put out 40-60w RMS...but reviews say it's more like 7w RMS... So anyway....anyone have any experience to share?

I know some people use this Lepai 2020A....but I'm not sure if that thing has enough power for the GS5's...

This is a TINY step up (25w RMS advertised)
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/micotwochstm.html#reviews

but it's nearly 3x the $....so I'm not ready to jump if the Lepai is more than adequate. I guess I could just order the lepai and if it sucks return it and order the bigger one...and keep trying to find one that will get the job done. I'm just trying to avoid that.

Luckily the link that Kodiak provided for the enclosure has options for larger enclosures as well. I'm thinking I'll get the big 12x12 to give myself enough room for anything/everything.

Edit. For ~70 here's a 40W x 2 amp
http://www.amazon.com/microFidelity-Mini-Amplifier-Model-Silver/dp/B003PXSXEE

Still looking for opinions on how much power is really needed to power these speakers. (It looks like the lepai's put out ~8W RMS with 8Ohm speakers.)

I picked up a Logitech Bluetooth adapter from best buy. Price was actually 10.00 less than amazon. And I had "points" so it was free.

Now to figure out which amp to get. Well I keep finding more and more expensive amps. However, I want to buy one amp. And only one amp. This one reviews rather well
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Amazon raised the price of the GS5 speakers...so I'm a bit chapped. I'll likely still pay the inflated price.

I'll go ahead and make this a "build"
Thread...if anyone else thinks it's pure genius they can have pics of what I decided to do.

Update: PartsExpress has a Memorial day sale going on. So I can get the GS5's and the Dayton from them for ~165.00. Add in a box from amazon and I'll still be out less than 200.00 (I'm going to check my local hardware store to see if they have a box for a reasonable price as well.)

It has begun...speakers and amp will be here tomorrow.
Box:

Bluetooth adapter:

Installed:

Im going to silicone all the holes in the box. And will install foam sealing tape on the door to try and seal it as good as possible. (This area should get limited rain.)

I may remove a metal plate out of the bottom of the Bluetooth adapter. I've read if the Bluetooth range isn't up to your expectations, to try that.

Speakers came in. Waiting for UPS for the amp.

Here is speakers. Tiles are 12x12 for reference.

Bruce is working at keeping the floor down. It's a tough job...but he's very skilled.

Amp showed up rather late(9:06pm to be exact). I can say this far that the amp should have enough power. I highly suggest others not even bother with the lower powered amps if you have any other noise to compete with. (Waterfalls, traffic, etc)

More info/pics to come tomorrow once I perm. Place the speakers etc.

Tidbit: this amp puts out 40W RMS per channel at 8 Ohms (advertised). So far we've used free pandora streamed via Bluetooth at full volume (on amp and iphone 5). Sound quality exceeds expectations so far. I'd like the ability to crank it up a little more...but...I can't.

Okay. I placed the speakers as far from they as the included wires would allow.

I'm going to move at least one of them further away. I'll take pics before and after.

On attaching things inside the box I used hot glue. Pics of that to come tomorrow as well. To say I'm exhausted is an understatement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This speaker will be moved when I can motivate myself to work in 100 deg temps

I may move this one closer to the pool wall. But I'm going to wait. Pool guys have to apply finish to that.

Amp gets warm. I may revisit this a little.

Bluetooth adapter doesn't reach quite as far as I would like. But I can make it work. I did remove the metal plate from inside the adapter. I don't know that it made much difference.

I don't know how that amp is designed, but having it mounted almost vertical may be causing it to get hot. From the pictures of the amp, it looks like it is designed to sit on a horizontal surface. Repositioning it may let it dissipate the heat better.

Could also be leaving it outside with ambient temps @ ~100 degrees. I'm going to start turning it off when not in use. That may help prolong its life a bit. I was hoping for a set it and forget it...I don't think that's realistic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.