Brand new pool owner of gunite pool...got a question (with pic)!

May 21, 2014
United States
We bought a repo house over the winter that had a pool. The pool was not winterized properly and was extremely dirty. We were advised to empty it, power wash it and then acid wash it...which we did all of this. We did a LOT Of scrubbing and cleaning and it looks much, much better but still looks quite dirty. How much of the black looking stains can we expect to disappear with chemicals? The picture is what it looks like now, as it is refilling.

Thanks for any suggestions, help with our "money pit"!
pool.jpg

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I think you should test to see if those stains are black algae. To do this, gently scrape a sample of the suspected black algae with your fingernail and then smudge it on plain white paper. If the smudge scrapes off and is a greenish color, then it’s black algae. Although everything you did (power washing & acid washing) should have removed this, it is a simple enough test worth doing. Post back with the results of this test.

Of course, those stains could be something else and someone may be along to offer other alternatives.

Thanks...we will test them as suggested. We were told the previous owners used the pool recently (within 1-2 years) We just bought the house 5 months ago in the winter so we had no idea the condition of the pool until we took the cover off about 3 weeks ago. The streaking appeared after the acid wash...as the acid wash was running down the slope of the pool it made the "streaky" look. Before the acid wash it was covered in it. We did try scrubbing, etc and pouring more acid wash but this is as good as we could get it. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the picture is after the acid wash

Let it fill. Pump won't run until it can prime (water needed) if you can isolate the main drain by closing off any skimmer valves you can run the pump on the main drain, but I'm not sure that's necessary at this point.

Have you read Pool School? Do you know our recommended chemicals? And how do you plan to test the water....

So, frustratedpoolmom...do you recommend continuing to fill it? Someone else said not to fill it so I just went and shut off the hose. I assumed since its half way full now I should just go ahead but now I am not sure what to do!
We did attend a local pool school at Watsons and got some knowledge. My husband may know more about the chemicals than I do. We have test strips

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.