Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pool owner of gunite pool...got a question (with pic)!

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pool owner of gunite pool...got a question (with pic)!

We bought a repo house over the winter that had a pool. The pool was not winterized properly and was extremely dirty. We were advised to empty it, power wash it and then acid wash it...which we did all of this. We did a LOT Of scrubbing and cleaning and it looks much, much better but still looks quite dirty. How much of the black looking stains can we expect to disappear with chemicals? The picture is what it looks like now, as it is refilling.

Thanks for any suggestions, help with our "money pit"!
    pool.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new pool owner of gunite pool...got a question (with pic)!

Welcome to TFP

I think you should test to see if those stains are black algae. To do this, gently scrape a sample of the suspected black algae with your fingernail and then smudge it on plain white paper. If the smudge scrapes off and is a greenish color, then itís black algae. Although everything you did (power washing & acid washing) should have removed this, it is a simple enough test worth doing. Post back with the results of this test.

Of course, those stains could be something else and someone may be along to offer other alternatives.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Impossible to say without identifying the stain as organic or inorganic first. It looks sorta like streaking. How long has it been there?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I would not fill till you've identified what the stain is as others have mentioned.

5. Back To Top    #5

That pic is the "after" after an acid wash?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks...we will test them as suggested. We were told the previous owners used the pool recently (within 1-2 years) We just bought the house 5 months ago in the winter so we had no idea the condition of the pool until we took the cover off about 3 weeks ago. The streaking appeared after the acid wash...as the acid wash was running down the slope of the pool it made the "streaky" look. Before the acid wash it was covered in it. We did try scrubbing, etc and pouring more acid wash but this is as good as we could get it. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the picture is after the acid wash

7. Back To Top    #7

also, as it fills up should we add any chemicals or just let it fill first? Should the pump be on? Sorry we are newbies!

8. Back To Top    #8

Let it fill. Pump won't run until it can prime (water needed) if you can isolate the main drain by closing off any skimmer valves you can run the pump on the main drain, but I'm not sure that's necessary at this point.

Have you read Pool School? Do you know our recommended chemicals? And how do you plan to test the water....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

So, frustratedpoolmom...do you recommend continuing to fill it? Someone else said not to fill it so I just went and shut off the hose. I assumed since its half way full now I should just go ahead but now I am not sure what to do!
    We did attend a local pool school at Watsons and got some knowledge. My husband may know more about the chemicals than I do. We have test strips

10. Back To Top    #10

Basically, just wondering if anyone can tell me if the black spots can/will disappear with chemicals