Jan 30, 2014
Perth, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all,

I have a variable pump speed, with three set speeds. I noticed that I can also manually adjust the speed of the pump for each setting. I have played around with the setting and reduced the low speed settings to 1100rpm from 1375rpm. The sound is much better and barely noticeable.

Any downside to doing that except for that I will have to up overall pump runtime?

Thanks!

No, not really, and some will say slower is better in terms of filtering. If it becomes an issue, your pool will tell you if it isn't being filtered enough as it will become obvious in appearance changes.

So would you recommend lowering the pump RPM even further? I can go to 1000rpm or even less. Is there any point where it becomes less efficient? I could practically have it running all day, at lower RPM the electricity costs are marginal.

I was told once that "at lower pump speeds the water is not recycled from every corner of the pool", I couldn't find any reliable source that can back it up though.

I am not familiar with your specific pump, but may of the other variable speed pumps are most efficient around 1,000 RPM.

The only limitation on lowering speed is that your skimmer still needs to be skimming efficiently and any other equipment you have, like a heater or SWG, works with the lower speed.

I am a new pool owner this year and have a VS pump. Yes you can run it at a lower RPM and run the pump for a longer duration with basicially marginal costs. I don't about the affects of filtering at extremely low speeds, but it will take longer to turn the pool water over. I would think that the number of returns in the pool and how they are adjusted would also have an affect.
I started with mine at 1000 RPM and running it 24/7 because I was not supplied with a on/off timer. My PB said I did not need one because the VS was so efficient. Well, I have since added a timer and now run mine 8-10 hours a day at 1500 RPM, no issues. My pump uses 192 watts at that speed.
So would you recommend lowering the pump RPM even further? I can go to 1000rpm or even less. Is there any point where it becomes less efficient? I could practically have it running all day, at lower RPM the electricity costs are marginal.

I was told once that "at lower pump speeds the water is not recycled from every corner of the pool", I couldn't find any reliable source that can back it up though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.