Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach and Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Bleach and Chlorine?

I'm planning on using bleach but my CYA level is 30, and I want to raise it using my chlorine tablets in my chlorinator since I have 75 lbs. of it. My question is... Should I just use my tablets until the CYA is up or should I use bleach and tablets?
    24Kgal/IG/Pebble/525sq.ft.CartridgeFilter/1.5 HP Pump/Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Bleach and Chlorine?

Either way is fine. Tabs will raise the CYA slowly, and affect TA and pH as well, but as long as you understand that and are watching those parameters, it will work.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Bleach and Chlorine?

It sort of depends on whether or not the tablets dissolve fast enough to maintain an adequate FC level. Testing will tell you.

If you scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals on Poolmath, you will see what each 8 oz trichlor puck will do to your pool chemistry. Note that they will mess with pH. If you're always fighting rising pH, that might not be a bad thing. But do use that to estimate how many pucks you can safely add, and do not use any more than that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!