First Post and First Pool

An extra gallon every couple of days is a lot cheaper than trying to clean a green pool
.What cancels out most of the advantage in chlorine now is this...
and the deep end drain is pretty clogged with leafs. I get the keys next Wednesday so i have to wait to throw a vacuum in and rake out the leaves until then.
If you add chlorine now, the chlorine ends up working on the solid organics that are in the pool and I doubt you'll see significant progress.

When OP reports a pool with a lot of solids in it, we think it is a good idea to net out the solids first, make sure the circualtory sytem is up to speed and then SLAM.

There is no harm at all in putting in some chlorine now but the advantages of doing so are normally offset because of the solids in the pool.

JRohrer, stay away from leslies! Unless you need some equipment items you absolutely MUST have right now and you can't find cheaper online. That doesn't leave much. Do not take them a water sample for "free" testing. They'll try to sell you very expensive chemicals most what you don't need. Besides, most of their tests are inaccurate anyhow!

Today's plan of attack. 1st Remove all leafs and debris. 2nd get pump running and brush the pool. 3rd once flow is checked and good to go. Add bleach and alow pump distribut.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Whoawhoawhoa! Slow down!

4th, confirm pH and CYA levels. You can't test pH during the SLAM, so you need to take care of that first. It's in the SLAM directions as a prerequisite. And you need to know CYA to determine the appropriate FC level.

And step zero is to take some motrin before you start all that brushing and sweeping. You will need to brush during the SLAM, too. The chlorine right next to the algae will get used up fast, so you want to move the water around.

Today seemed to go well i managed to get most of the leafs and debris out of the pool. I Then brushed the the whole pool and lastly added 1.7 gal of 8.25% bleach. I did notice that the pressure in the Sand filter was just under 20 psi. So i think it needs to be back washed soon. Any comments will help. Thanks!

I did notice that the pressure in the Sand filter was just under 20 psi. So i think it needs to be back washed soon.
Please tell us what your psi was before so we can compare? There should be a 25% increase in psi that triggers a backwash.

Secondly, reporting a 1.7 gallon addition of chlorine doesn't tell us enough for comments, either. How high did that raise your FC? Was your goal to get to SLAM value? Put your pool info in your sig so responders can readily refer to it.

JRohrer, Has your test kit arrived yet? Which kit did you order? For the SLAM it's important that it includes the FAS-DPD type of chlorine test. A lot of kits don't come with that test but instead come with other types which won't test levels as high as you'll be needing to test. It's a very important tool that is required to "do it right".

;-)

Welcome to the forum!

Way to go! You ordered the best! Unfortunately test strips are really bad. Just fyi, I've read that at high chlorine levels the test strips just bleach out. Until you get your kit the best thing you can do is read a lot of pool school so you can start becoming familiar with everything.

Like duraleigh said, when you backwash is based on what your pressure is when the filter is clean. You need a baseline "clean" PSI reading and then you know to backwash when the PSI has risen 25% over that baseline. Every pool/filter is different on that one.

The pool info we're looking for in your signature is things like the type of pool, (Plaster, vinyl, inground, above ground), the size (approx gallons), the filter and pump type, etc.

If you're on the web version of the forum you can get to where you edit your signature by clicking on the settings link near the top right of the page. There will be a link for "edit my signature" on the settings page to the left. From tapatalk it's in your settings. Towards the bottom there is a link for "tapatalk signature". However I think that setting might run through any forums you access with tapatalk so you might not want to have your pool stuff in it if you're posting on a car forum or something. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright i updated my signature block with the info i could find today.
Don't shoot me for saying this but from what my quick strips said today my water quality has really improved after the 1.7 gallons of bleach on Tuesday. Unfortunately we wont close on the house until the 2nd now so ill have to continue to find a way into the backyard to check on the pool. Not to big of a problem considering the home is unoccupied. Tuesday i should have my test kit so i plan to go put it to use after work that day.
Thanks for following along.
And for all who have Served or continue Serve THANKS!! Have a great weekend everyone.

Tuesday i should have my Big Kid test kit. So i cant wait to get things going in the right direction. Here in Tucson its already pool weather. I did have a few questions on the BBB method once the pool has become stabilized. What can i expect for daily chlorine use and where do most people find the best deals on Bleach? I understand the usage question is subject to change based on a plenty of factors but im trying to get in the ballpark on cost per month.

Thanks Again!

Tuesday i should have my Big Kid test kit. So i cant wait to get things going in the right direction. Here in Tucson its already pool weather. I did have a few questions on the BBB method once the pool has become stabilized. What can i expect for daily chlorine use and where do most people find the best deals on Bleach? I understand the usage question is subject to change based on a plenty of factors but im trying to get in the ballpark on cost per month.

Thanks Again!
Ballpark? A pool your size in your sunny climate could easily use 3 ppm per day, which is 90 oz of 8.25% Clorix. Less if it's pool chlorine at 10 or 12.5%

Pricing varies. Sometimes pool stores are actually competitive. Check out post three for how to work it out. I buy 12.5% stuff in returnable jugs at the local pool place. See if there's one near you.
http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php

Around here, it costs $6 for 2 gallons of 10%. Let's say you need 1/2 gallon per day to maintain 2-3 ppm FC loss per day, you're looking at 15 gallons per month. That works out to be $45 +/- for your chlorinating demands. Most of your other chemical costs should be negligible.

Like Richard said, you might find a pool store that will sell you a 4-gallon tote of 12.5% for a comparable price.

So far it's been going great. actually met all the neighbors and explained the situation. Just got back and pH was a little high sitting at a 7.8 other Than that the pool looks pretty good just need a a good vacume.

Got my Test kit and results are as follows.
FC 1.5
PH 8.2
TA 110
CH 300
CYA 30 That's the Big one the pool store said it was 60

I added the recommended amount of Chlorine and Acid to help bring FC and PH into range. Whats next?
That's pretty darn good considering. Many would only dream to be presented a pool with levels like that. Do you get the keys this week? The only thing you'll probably need to bump up is your CYA but I would wait until you have complete access to the pool...in case you have to SLAM. How's the water look? I take it CCs were less than .5?

Yea cc was right at .5 the water is pretty clear but there is a good amount of sand. The air quality has gone to **** the last few days. So lots of dust has found its way in the pool. Seems like my every two day check up has paid off. We should have the keys monday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.