Can't keep FC Level. (New at Pools)

I moved into a house with an existing pool.
24 ft Round x 48"
Hayward Sand Filter

When opening for the season and not knowing anything about pools, I guessed at what to do. The pool was dark in algae. I called a local pool shop and was told to just use shock and algaecide. I went to Walmart and looked at what they had to offer. I purchased 2 1 lb bags of shock and a bottle of algaecide that was suppose to be enough for my pool. The water cleared to a cloudy aqua color. I cleared the pool of leaves and debris and let the filter run for several days. I also added chlorine pucks. The water never cleared from the cloudy aqua color.

I then ran across your site and started reading about using bleach. I already had purchased test strips so I tested the water. And got approx the following results ( can't remember exactly now)

Total Hardness 250
Total Chlorine 0
Free Chlorine 0
pH 7.4
Total Alkalinity 120
CYA 100

I wanted to get the CYA down so I drained about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pool which brought the CYA to 30-50
I then used the PoolMath Calculator to find out how much bleach to add. I now had algae again, so I went by the FC value for algae, which was to raise FC to 24, to do this I needed to add 4 gallon and 3 quarts of bleach. I did so and the FC came up to above 20 (highest test strips will measure). I left the filter running, the water turned back to the cloudy aqua color in a few hours. The next evening (24 hrs later) the FC was 0 again.

I used the PoolMath Calculator again to get the FC to 3 and it said to add 1 quart 1 cup of bleach, I did so but the chlorine levels didn't rise at all they stayed at 0

What am I doing wrong, any help will be appreciated. I have put so much money in this I can't afford to buy a good drops test kit at this time so I hope the strips will do

Levels now

Total Hardness 250
Total Chlorine 0
FC 0
pH 7.2
Total Alkalinity 120
CYA 30-50

What am I doing wrong, any help will be appreciated. I have put so much money in this I can't afford to buy a good drops test kit at this time so I hope the strips will do

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, you answered your own question. It's pretty much impossible to do it our way without your own good test kit. The money you will save in the long run by not spinning your wheels and by buying only what you need will be substantial, so you really need to look at it as an investment that will pay dividends far into the future (see my signature for a real life example).

The fasdpd test kit is critical to maintaining good water quality and clearing your pool. It will more than pay for itself many times over. With the proper test kit and following the Slam process as described in pool school, you will be successful.

The fasdpd test kit is critical to maintaining good water quality and clearing your pool. It will more than pay for itself many times over. With the proper test kit and following the Slam process as described in pool school, you will be successful.

I can't afford a test kit and chemicals at the same time till July. By that time the pool will be back to the way it was. Thanks for your advice, but I guess I'm out of luck.

What are you doing wrong? You're not following the SLAM process, with or without a test kit. You are letting the FC drop down too low in between testing and additions. You want to hold it at shock level until the water is clear - not cloudy. 3 is not nearly high enough. So what you added, was consumed instantly, because you have something organic in your pool consuming the chlorine as you add it. That's why you're not getting a reading - even on the strips. You need to add chlorine, up to shock level, testing and adding up to every 30 minutes, until you reach shock level. Since you can't read that on the strips - it's almost going to be impossible. But letting it drop down won't help you either. Try Diluting with 3 parts distilled/bottled water to 1 part pool water. Mix together then test the water with that. Multiply by 4 to get your result. You lose some accurace but it's worth a shot. Shock level according to CYA chart is 39. Not 24. If you want to try and clear the pool - that's what I'd suggest rather than waste what money you have spent so far and give up till July.

I hope this helps. Post back if you need me to clarify anything...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You most likely don't have mustard algae, a very common misconception. I missed the comment about the partial drain. Your shock level is 16. So that will be easier to use the dilution method... do equal parts pool water and bottled water and multiply by 2. You can read up to 20 that way... can help keep you on target. Remember, ignore if your PH is reading high - it's a false high that will drop when the FC drops back down to normal.

What test are we talking about here?

... Your shock level is 16. So that will be easier to use the dilution method... do equal parts pool water and bottled water and multiply by 2. You can read up to 20 that way... can help keep you on target. Remember, ignore if your PH is reading high - it's a false high that will drop when the FC drops back down to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.