Heater doesn't turn on unless in service mode

brian4110

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
A bit of a puzzler...I have an inground with an attached spa. The heater is a Hayward H310S model. I have automation with a Compool 3800 control panel.

My Compool panel has separate buttons for Spa mode and Pool mode. In Pool mode, I am able to adjust the temperature and kick the heater on. No problems there. But in spa mode, there seems to be nothing I can do to get the heater to kick on. The funny thing is, when I put it into service mode via the panel at my equipment pad, I have no trouble getting the heater to fire up whether in pool or spa mode. In automation mode (not service mode) I can never get the heater to fire when in spa mode even from the equipment pad panel.

I must be missing something obvious. I have no trouble heating the pool in 'pool mode'. The heater just doesn't want to fire up in spa mode unless the panel is in service mode.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Is there a "schedule" setting or a timer that needs to be set for the spa mode?

There is a schedule setting whereby I can schedule when the spa mode becomes active, but I am also able to manually put it into spa mode. Same with pool mode. Whether I go into spa mode via schedule or ad hoc, the heater won't turn on even though the spa setting indicates that the heater should fire. Pool mode works perfectly for heating the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you set the water temperature you want for spa mode?

Good question, and yes, the spa temperature is set to 95 and the current water temperature is about 72.

In pool mode, the heater will turn on and off appropriately depending on whether the desired temp is set higher than the current temp.

I assume there is some kind of flow sensor that will prevent the heater from firing when there is not adequate flow. However, I've checked the actuators for spa mode and the flow seems fine. And it does work in pool mode.

I appreciate the help. Anything else I could be missing? I don't want to have to go into service mode and operate the spa at the equipment pad whenever I want to use the spa. First world problems!

I can think of one very unlikely possibility. Is there any chance that the heater is plumbed so that it doesn't get water flow when the valve is set to spa mode?

The only other thing I can think of is that the automation system is broken in some way.

I can think of one very unlikely possibility. Is there any chance that the heater is plumbed so that it doesn't get water flow when the valve is set to spa mode?

The only other thing I can think of is that the automation system is broken in some way.

Nothing in the plumbing has changed since last year when it worked fine. The only difference is that this year I did the pool opening, which meant I was the one in the heater turning on the gas...maybe I bumped and disconnected a wire? Not sure. I'll double check all the connections and also the plumbing once I get home this afternoon.

- - - Updated - - -

Bizarre.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a spa side remote? Could that be interfering some how?

Nope...no spa side remote unfortunately! I've wished for one!
Everything at the control panel looks normal. There is a light that indicates when the heater should be warming the pool and it does come on. There is also a light that indicates when the heater is actually on, and it does not come on in spa mode. It does come on in pool mode when heating is indicated. And it's not a faulty light...I've checked the heater in spa mode and it indeed is not on even though the control panel says it should be.

Again...I appreciate the help and suggestions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm kind of grasping at straws at this point. Still, I thought of another possibility. Usually the automation system connects to the heater with a two wire connection, a simple on/off switch. However, you occasionally see a three wire connection, with common, pool, and spa wires. If you have a three wire connection it is possible that the spa wire is loose, disconnected, or cut somewhere.

The Compool uses a two wire from the outside control panel to the heater. You could have a faulty communication cable that goes from your wall mounted remote to the control unit on the side of the house.

Problem solved...for now?

I took the panel off of the heater, double checked all of the connections, re-seated a few, and tried to fire it up in spa mode again. I didn't check any wiring diagrams so I have no idea which ones I touched. But now it is working as designed. Perhaps there was a corroded or loose connection somewhere in the spa wiring and by repositioning/jiggling the wires I somehow fixed the connection. Just a guess. If it happens again, at least I know where to start looking.

Thank you frustratedpoolmom, JasonLion, and ps0303!

Glad that you were able to get the heater going.

For future information:

The Compool system has a few options that are controlled via dip switches on the board. One of the options is to have the heater come on automatically when the spa button is pushed and turned back off when the spa is turned off. That is one position of the dip switch, the other position is called "MAN HEAT" or manual heat where you need to turn on the heater independently from the spa button, IOW you would hit the spa button, then you must also hit the Heat source button in the heater section under spa to turn the heater on. This option is useful for the guy whose neighbor likes to jump the fence when he goes out of town and use his spa. With this option enabled, he can put the system into spa mode via the remote at the spa, but the heater won't turn on, thus curbing the neighbor.

Open the left side door on the ICP and see the spa section of the heater control. Confirm that the led that is across from "heater" is illuminated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.