Pool Opening Numbers

Hi everyone, just opened pool for the year. Had persistent algae problems last year to the point I was going to invest in a truck load of topsoil if you know what I mean. I have a 16 x 36 rectangular inground vinyl liner pool of about 26,000 gallons. Got the following numbers on testing the water myself with a TF-100 test kit that I found through this site late last summer.

FC-16 CC-0 Alk-90 PH-7.5 CYA-100 CH-350

I know the CYA is rather high, should I dump water and refill or leave it and see if it causes me problems? Guy who opened pool shocked it before he left, so I am guessing thats why FC is at 16. I have no tabs in the chlorinator. I am thinking of dumping the hockey pucks this year and trying to maintain with bleach, thoughts?

I replaced the filter grids in the DE filter this year, water is crystal clear and nice and shimmery. Any other advice? I am dreading the return of the dreaded A word if you know what I mean. Had it up to here (holding hand above my head :D) with pool stores and even pool companies so I want to take it under my control.

Thanks in advance, this site has been a god send!

Do you know what the guy used to shock it? Keep any tabs you have and use them for vacations if you go to bleach. You will have problems if you don't drain and refill to lower your cya to 50 max. Maybe not right away but for sure you'll be using a lot more chlorine either way you go.

I agree with the others that the first step towards making your pool easy to manage is a 50% drain and refill that should get your CYA at 50 or a little below is even better.

Everything gets easier once you do that.

Thanks so much everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it. High CYA is from using tabs for the last 8 years I guess? Used bleach at end of the year last season like I read here. CYA was that high last year as well, will do the drain and refill. I heard I shouldn't drain down past my light in the deep end, any truth to that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.