Outdoor green pool problems

Jul 29, 2013
Welcome to TFP I started a new thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --duraleigh, TFP Moderator

So my pool, i'm on day 5. Pool looks like April 30th pic. But i must confess i did not think it was going to take this long. I hear other people who say it took them 3 days to open pool and turn a green pool clear.

It is hard to argue with them that this BBB method is better when they say "it only took me 3 days and you are still not done yours"

I'm worried i'm not doing something right. I check FC 3 times daily. Evening when i get home. Seems to drop to 12ppm, add liquid chlorine bring above 20ppm (i'm supposed to have a shock level of 18 based on CYA), check in the morning still above 18ppm. Get home dropped, add liquid chlorine, clean filter, brush sides, throw in kreepy krawler for a few hours.

seems very slow

Re: How long until my Green Pool is Clear ?? - This long :

followup. Is it not beneficial to have the SWG running while Slamming so as to ensure FC is up high enough and does not drop?

Keep the faith, folks. Follow the SLAM article perfectly and your pool will clear. How long that takes will depend on how much junk was allowed to accumulate in your pool.

MargaretB3 and "outdoor".....you really have no choice but continue doing this correctly or head back to the pool store for thier "magic bullets" which may or may not clear your pool but will certainly lighten you wallet.

Instead of listening to the uninformed, read the thousands of success stories here on this forum and read in Pool School how to better manage your pool. Neither of you report precise FC levels and the TFPC method begins and ends with precise testing.

I know this post sounds a bit harsh and I don't mean it that way. What I mean is logic tells you that the thousands of people who do this successsfully are not making it up and that your water is no different than their water....you just need to get the junk cleaned out.

Stay the course and be diligent! :D

So my pool, i'm on day 5. Pool looks like April 30th pic. But i must confess i did not think it was going to take this long. I hear other people who say it took them 3 days to open pool and turn a green pool clear.

It is hard to argue with them that this BBB method is better when they say "it only took me 3 days and you are still not done yours"

I'm worried i'm not doing something right. I check FC 3 times daily. Evening when i get home. Seems to drop to 12ppm, add liquid chlorine bring above 20ppm (i'm supposed to have a shock level of 18 based on CYA), check in the morning still above 18ppm. Get home dropped, add liquid chlorine, clean filter, brush sides, throw in kreepy krawler for a few hours.

seems very slow

Keep in mind if you are dropping to 12 ppm then you are just SLAing and not SLAMing ..... you need to maintain 18 at all times.

Keep the faith ... you will get there!

I've reported Precise FC???? I test it at least twice daily. and at those times make sure it is above the level for Shocking.

I've reported Precise FC???? I test it at least twice daily. and at those times make sure it is above the level for Shocking.

Please don't think i am busting chops or being a jerk but take a look at your quote in my post. You state your shock level is 18 but then talk about it falling to 12. If your shock level is 18 you need to maintain it at that level or higher.

@pool4me...love your beginning thread...sounds like every little thing that goes through my head along with ... I still see the black dot, no I don't, yes I do...oh wait is the sun behind me, am I holding the tube right, I see it, I don't see it...and on and on goes the dreaded cya test

OK i know everyone on this forum is against Pool store chemicals. But I've been SLAMING my pool for about 9 days now and it is still turquoise. The filter is clean, pump basket clean, pool sides and bottom clean. No debris anywhere. Since Friday I've made sure it is over Chlorinated 24-26ppm never going below 18. (CYA 45).

Now i talk to about 4 different people I know or work with that have pools and they are all say it takes them a couple of days to open up pool add this, that minimal cost and it is clear. Meanwhile I'm spending about $5 a day adding Bleach for 9 days I'm up to about $65-$70. I'm really beginning to wonder the harm of adding a $10-$15 clarifier.

my pH before i started was about 7.2
CYA 45
Alk 100
CC is .5
FC was 24 last checked last night and above 18 this morning when i added more bleach
Salt is 3600

Pump is running 24/7

I think the distinction here is "opening a pool" vs "dealing with a seriously green pool".

EDIT - ignore everything else I typed, just noticed you started keeping FC levels *above* shock level since Friday ;)

In fairness, you've been SLAM-ing your pool for 3-4 days -- before that you were "sorta-semi-SLAM-ing"...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Is there any reason i should not put cover and run water through solar panels while shocking? That way i can start heating water up as well?

Is there any reason i should not put cover and run water through solar panels while shocking? That way i can start heating water up as well?
You should run the water through everything, in case there's any algae spores lingering inside. So, yeah, get the solar going! Toss any pool tools and toys in to soak a few minutes, too.

for the last few days the water has no green tint, but is now still cloudy. Could it be my pH has risen too high and that is causing cloudiness?

I was thinking of doing an overnight chlorine loss test and if it does not lose more than 1ppm of FC would that not indicate I can stop slaming, let the FC drop below 10ppm then balance everything and that might solve the issue?

Just tested my Alkalinity which i believe you can test when FC is high. it is 140ppm. Could that be causing cloudiness? Or does that mean if it is high perhaps the pH is high as well? Can i add muratic acid now to lower Alkalinity?

When the algae is dead, it is white. You will have to continue to filter 24/7 to get all the dead algae out.

If your CH is high and pH is off, you can get cloudiness too, but I am almost certain you have dead algae that need to be filtered out.

To answer your other question, you need to continue to SLAM until the water is clear, OCLT is less than 1, AND CC is at or less than .5.

Note the AND

Don't stress that it is taking you longer than some people. The time to clear a swamp also depends on the type of filter, too. A DE filter will clear a swamp faster than a cartridge filter. The cloudiness usually means that most of the algae is dead, but you need to give the filter time to do its job. Keep SLAMing and you will have a clear pool soon.

did Overnight Chlorine loss test last thursday night. And the loss was 1ppm and cc .5 so stopped adding liquid chlorine. Went away friday night for weekend. Put pump on timer to run 10hours a day through solar panels.

Came back yesterday water is somewhat clear, can see bottom, but not crystal clear.

Temp was 75
FC 18
pH 7.5 (don't know how accurate this is given the FC)
CC .5
ALK 130
CH 180
CYA 30-40 (difficult to test. if i put on white paper about waist level seems to be 40. If i just hold it in my hands at waist level seems to be 30)
Salt 3600

So could the Alkalinity being high cause the clarity issues?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.