Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What the heck am I using?

1. Back To Top    #1

What the heck am I using?

I have been reading through the forum and I see a lot of you talk about BBB, Baqua and other chemicals. I may sound stupid but I use what they gave me at the pool store (and I have little faith in those guys.) Its something called Simple Blue... I have no clue if its a chlorine based product or what.. anyone know what it is so I can understand a little more when you all talk about YOUR chemicals?

Thanks for your help
    Donna
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

15x26 AG
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What the heck am I using?

I hope you don't mean Simply Blue! It's copper sulfate marketed by a spammer extraordinare.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I dont know... the packaging says SIMPLE Blue.. with a E. Like I said its what they recommend at the pool store, and what they carry there. Its a pool manager that I am supposed to add once a week. The only problems I have had so far was some algae when I had to drain some water and refill, the fpump and filter were not working properly so algae formed. This was after we opened it for the summer and it was crystal clear! The shock I used to clear it up at that time was also called Simple Blue. I do remember researching online and saw Simply Blue but thought it was something different. Was I wrong? Are they the same thing and if so why are they bad?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

15x26 AG
    Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Simple or Simply? You said Simple in your first post and Simply in your second. I'm not familiar with Simple Blue. The product marketed at http://www.simplybluepools.com doesn't have a shock, so I suspect it's another product. Check the link and see if the logo is familiar.

Regardless, you have to have some source of sanitizer. Chlorine and Baquacil are the most common. Bromine is used in hot tubs and indoor pools (and rarely in outdoor pools).

Check out this post about alternative sanitizers http://www.troublefreepool.com/alter...e%20sanitizers
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like it's a copper based algaecide, if you both are talking about the same product.

I wouldn't use it. It is not going to sanitize your pool adequately like chlorine will, and will likely result in copper staining if the conditions warrant it. Also copper in your pool will lead to green hair. Been there, done that.

How much of it have you used? Consider sequestering it with a metal sequesterant and then just sticking with bleach.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

OK.. see what an idiot I am!! LOL. It IS Simple Blue.. with an E.. I will edit my first post so there is no confusion.

Again thanks for your help!!

15x26 AG
    Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Simple or Simply? You said Simple in your first post and Simply in your second. I'm not familiar with Simple Blue. The product marketed at http://www.simplybluepools.com doesn't have a shock, so I suspect it's another product. Check the link and see if the logo is familiar.

Regardless, you have to have some source of sanitizer. Chlorine and Baquacil are the most common. Bromine is used in hot tubs and indoor pools (and rarely in outdoor pools).

Check out this post about alternative sanitizers http://www.troublefreepool.com/alter...e%20sanitizers
    Thanks for the link.. its not the same logo but thats such a small difference in the name!!

15x26 AG
    Cartridge Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by luvavbcop
    OK.. see what an idiot I am!! LOL. It IS Simple Blue.. with an E.. I will edit my first post so there is no confusion.

Could you post the ingredients that are listed on the label? It will help us know just what you are putting in your pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's okay. It's a simple mistake.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Could you post the ingredients that are listed on the label? It will help us know just what you are putting in your pool.
    I will certainly do that once I can get to the shed.. I might melt in the rain.. lol

15x26 AG
    Cartridge Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT

It's okay. It's a simple mistake.
    Groan!! :P
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner