Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic vacuum for above ground pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic vacuum for above ground pool.

I have a 14ft intex ultra frame pool. I have dirt and a few leaves that have begun to accumulate on the bottom of the pool. I would like to get a vacuum, but do not know what to get. I have looked at the hayward aquacritters and the lil'shark. I am open to any other suggestions. I do not want to spend more that I need to for my 14ft pool. I have an intex sand filter and pump.

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic vacuum for above ground pool.

unfortunately, no one on here uses suction vacs, as I found out when I posted a similar question. everyone uses the 1000+ dollar robots which are wayyy out of my price range. that being said, you probably wont be getting too many responses.

searching around for a cheap vac that will pick up dirt on my pool floor (i dont get too many leaves, mainly have cedars where im at) I keep going back to the Barracuda Ranger for 114.00 w/ free ship from amazon. It seems to have good reviews both on amazon and other sites, so I think I will give it a whirl. there is the Kreepy Krauly, but it has near the same reviews and is 2-3 times the price!!!

my father in law has the Barricuda X3 and loves it. I have been unimpressed with everything I have read on Hayward vacs and other brands.

There is a chinese knock off Kreepy Krauly on amazon for 85 bucks that surprisingly has a bunch of 5 star reviews, but im still skeptical.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I still manually vacuum with the intex vac... I call it my "therapy".... I find it very relaxing...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

4. Back To Top    #4

We have the lil shark and it does a decent job. We have to babysit it a bit to get it going when it gets stuck. Frequent back washing the sand filter helps speed it up too. I am glad that we have it.
    24'x52" Aquarian 400 Resin AGP, Buried 2 ft.
    Hayward Powerflow Matrix 1 HP 2 SP, Hayward Sand Filter
    Solaxx Saltron Retro SWG (still in the box)

5. Back To Top    #5

I use an "Aqua Broom" for cleaning spas - it's a small battery operated toy and it was worth the $ I spent. The manufacturer makes a "pool Blaster" that could work for you... maybe see about the reviews for that...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I also use the Barracuda Ranger - got it for a deal on craigslist. Works well, hoping it does better around my cake steps vs the ladder from last year. It would clean around, but the guide ring would catch on the ladder bottom.
    21' Round 48" Deep Doughboy Timberline III, 9100 Gallons
    Using 80lb Media Master sand filter and 1HP Powerpak II.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the Stingray Pool Cleaner. It did a decent job on my previous Intex pool. Now I will try it on above ground pool. Will let you know how it performed.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

8. Back To Top    #8

For big leaves and stuff I use the one that came with my last pool, the one you hook a water hose to and it filters thru a nylon bag. For the dirt I use the one we got with this pool, has small roller wheels and brush bristles on the bottom, hooks to the water intake. They have both at WalMart.
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame, 6,423gal, 1500gph Cartridge, SWG, Setup June 2013.

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought an eco jet explorer. It is under 400.00 for my AG 24ft round, about 3 years ago. It is an automatic cleaner. Does a fabulous job. Simple to use as well. I had a bunch of junk on my pool bottom once I got the cover off and it picked up everything. I did take it out to clean the filter bag and then moved a pin on wheel axle to change the pattern and put it back in. I am very pleased and they do have a website.

10. Back To Top    #10

I use the manual suction vac that came with my pool. The only hassle is hooking it to the skimmer. I am think of plumbing in an open "T" with a ball valve near the skimmer, and just use the open end as my port. Maybe try that this weekend. But the manual vac takes me about 20-30 min to do real good job. It's nice to sit back and appreciate the hard work. Kinda like cutting the lawn.....
    18 x 33 resin AGP, 17K gal, Saltwater, 250lb sand filter, 1.5hp, main drains, PVC plumbing, custom fountain, wedding cake stairs. TF-100. Pool School.
    Best advice: Go through Pool School and follow BBB method. It will never let you down. Oh, and take a little time to clean your pool & test weekly...a little preventative maintenance goes a LONG way!