Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: slow leak from skimmer basket housing

1. Back To Top    #1

slow leak from skimmer basket housing

I noticed last year that I had a slow dripping off the bottom of my skimmer basket housing, and it looks like it was coming from the rectangular part that is between the pool wall and the round part holding the skimmer basket. Is there some kind of sealant that I could apply to all the joints inside and outside the housing to hopefully eliminate the leaks before I uncover the pool and fill it up? Or is replacing the whole housing the only way to go?
    15K gal, 24' round AG, 75 sq ft cartridge filter, 1 HP 2 spd Jacuzzi pump, June 2004 install
    Former (& fed up!) 9 year Litehouse Pools customer 2004 - 2012!!
    Joined TFP in 2013 - swimming more and spending less $$!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: slow leak from skimmer basket housing

It probably looks something like this. Maybe it just needs new gaskets (part 6) or tightening.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The gaskets are only a few years old, and I tightened all the screws last year. The water was seeping out of the sealed joint around the rectangular part of the housing before it transitions into the barrel shaped part. Just wondered if a sealant of some kind would work or even be safe to use being exposed to the water all season.
    15K gal, 24' round AG, 75 sq ft cartridge filter, 1 HP 2 spd Jacuzzi pump, June 2004 install
    Former (& fed up!) 9 year Litehouse Pools customer 2004 - 2012!!
    Joined TFP in 2013 - swimming more and spending less $$!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd try some bathroom caulk or automotive RTV gasket goo on it. The alternative is to replace the housing, so it's worth the gamble.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!