Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My $20 fountain

1. Back To Top    #1

My $20 fountain

Posted last year a few times during our build. Then forgot my login and had to create new account. Need to add my info but we have 18x33 saltwater. Here is my latest addition- a custom fountain!. Just added an extra line to the return and control it via ball valves, so we can adjust the flow. Kids love it and it only cost me $20 to make it! Let me know if interested and I can send pics of the plumbing. This thing was a breeze and only took 1 hour to make. Happy Swimming

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My $20 fountain

Good job!

Next up... a nipple to attach a pool noodle so you can use it like a firehouse to blast the kids.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm almost done with my plumbing and want to add a fountain. But I do have a question...my plumbing is 2" PVC is this will be okay for a fountain? Or should I use something smaller?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

Shouldn't be a problem because you are going to reduce down to whatever size hole you drill to create the fountain. Just make sure and get you one of those PVC ball valves to control the flow. You don't want it to spray out of the pool.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd reduce it at the T. A 1" ball valve is cheaper than a 2"
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I'd reduce it at the T. A 1" ball valve is cheaper than a 2"
    Didn't consider that in my reply. As far as that goes, so will the pipe, elbows and end caps...
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you send me some pics please.

8. Back To Top    #8

Why not post up the pictures of the plumbing: How To Post Pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Why not post up the pictures of the plumbing: How To Post Pictures
    Will do. Have to take some more pics this evening and will post them tomorrow.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Good job!

Next up... a nipple to attach a pool noodle so you can use it like a firehouse to blast the kids.
    That is a FANTASTIC idea!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    I'm almost done with my plumbing and want to add a fountain. But I do have a question...my plumbing is 2" PVC is this will be okay for a fountain? Or should I use something smaller?
    If using a ball valve you should be fine with either. I ran all 1.5" and have more than enough flow, even with dual main drains. If you turn the fountain all the way "on" and turn "off" the return, it will shoot water 20 ft outside of the pool! Don't recommend that for lots of reasons, let alone the backpressure on the system. Of course the number of holes determines a lot of how the spray behaves. I went with a 24" piece and 20 holes. Real happy with the amount of arc and the noise of the water.

Remember- running a fountain for extended periods also messes with your pH. Might have to test a little more than normal.
    18 x 33 resin AGP, 17K gal, Saltwater, 250lb sand filter, 1.5hp, main drains, PVC plumbing, custom fountain, wedding cake stairs. TF-100. Pool School.
    Best advice: Go through Pool School and follow BBB method. It will never let you down. Oh, and take a little time to clean your pool & test weekly...a little preventative maintenance goes a LONG way!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by southern_gs View Post
    If using a ball valve you should be fine with either. I ran all 1.5" and have more than enough flow, even with dual main drains. If you turn the fountain all the way "on" and turn "off" the return, it will shoot water 20 ft outside of the pool! Don't recommend that for lots of reasons, let alone the backpressure on the system. Of course the number of holes determines a lot of how the spray behaves. I went with a 24" piece and 20 holes. Real happy with the amount of arc and the noise of the water.

Remember- running a fountain for extended periods also messes with your pH. Might have to test a little more than normal.
    But I need to lower the TA and last year when I have intex pool the fountain helped me a lot
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    But I need to lower the TA and last year when I have intex pool the fountain helped me a lot
    You are correct. I meant to say TA....not pH.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southern_gs View Post
    You are correct. I meant to say TA....not pH.
    Well, in the interest of causing less confusion ...

As per PoolMath "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH."
    18 x 33 resin AGP, 17K gal, Saltwater, 250lb sand filter, 1.5hp, main drains, PVC plumbing, custom fountain, wedding cake stairs. TF-100. Pool School.
    Best advice: Go through Pool School and follow BBB method. It will never let you down. Oh, and take a little time to clean your pool & test weekly...a little preventative maintenance goes a LONG way!

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes. By aerating you lower TA but raise pH.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

15. Back To Top    #15

Sure thing- I hoped to take some yesterday but had a school function for my 5-year old that ran until after dark. I will post some more pics today or tomorrow.

16. Back To Top    #16

Re: My $20 fountain (MORE PICS)

More Pics

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for the pics. I'm definitely doing this!

21'x52 AGP 11200 Gal
    TFPC Method

18. Back To Top    #18

That looks great!! Love that idea.

MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP
    Powerline XP Pump 1 HP
    Aquaview 17" Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit

JUST WAITING ON INSTALL!
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

19. Back To Top    #19

Coolness!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Where are the pics? My kids are going to love this and they will worship me!!! This is so cool!!!
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast