Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High calcium in fill water and drought conditions?

1. Back To Top    #1

High calcium in fill water and drought conditions?

My fill water is around 375-400 CH.

I know that refilling water is one way to get high levels down. The other is to keep the TA and PH lower.

With southern California in drought conditions, it doesn't make sense to constantly drain\refill as the CH rises. Do some of you live with high CH and just scrub calcium scale?

Note: not sure if the rise in CH is because of new plaster. I'm only using liquid bleach btw.

Thanks.
    Pool Specs: 26K, IG, Plaster, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward ProGrid DE 6020

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High calcium in fill water and drought conditions?

Keeping the pH and TA lower does not lower the CH ... as you stated. But does lower the likelihood of calcium scaling.

You might eventually want to look into Reverse Osmosis treatment on your pool. That would lower the CH much more than refilling it.

What is the CH in your pool? It will rise due to evaporation and topping off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My CH out of the tap is lower (200-250ish) but I just let it rise until it hits about 1000, which takes about 3 years. Then, it's full drain and refill. I know some people capture the water from the rain gutters on their roof; that's a great idea if you have them.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to my world!

You will never, ever, ever get your CH into the recommended range. Accept that.

What I do (it's going on right now, actually) is use pool water on the lawn, then top off with fresh. Same amount of water, but it goes through the pool first. Even if it's only 2" replaced... 2"/60" average depth = 3.33%.

For me, that means .97*850 + .03*130 = 828 CH. Not a huge drop, but it keeps me relatively even. In the winter, I aim a gutter downspout into the pool to capture that wonderful Calcium-free rainwater.

You are one of the few who will have to actually pay attention to the CSI on Poolmath. You can't do much about the CH or the temperature, but you do have some control over pH and TA. Enter all your numbers and see what you have. Then experiment and see what happens when the temperature increases, or you reduce the TA, all the variables. You'll likely discover that with a low TA 60-70, you have some room to let pH rise. But as CH climbs, that wiggle room gets less and less, and you'll be forced to lower pH at 7.5, rather than letting it drift to 7.8. It's manageable. As long as CSI stays lower than .5, there shouldn't be any problem.

As an aside, my CH readings dropped about 25% when I switched from manual swirling to using a speedstir. So your water may not be as bad as you think!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard does the chlorine have any effect on the lawn?

6. Back To Top    #6

Nope.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Even at maintenance levels?
    If so, then that's good to hear and something I'll keep in mind when/if the time comes.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Even at maintenance levels?
    If so, then that's good to hear and something I'll keep in mind when/if the time comes.
    This is what I wanted to know as well. For me my st. Augustine grass might be sensitive to 4-6ppm Fc lol.

Pool Specs: 26K, IG, Plaster, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward ProGrid DE 6020

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage21 View Post
    This is what I wanted to know as well. For me my st. Augustine grass might be sensitive to 4-6ppm Fc lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Guess he's moved on to other things?..

10. Back To Top    #10

I already answered! My lawn thrives on it.

Somewhere on here, chemgeek has a paper that displays how the active strength of bleach is buffered by CYA, so that 5 or 6 ppm at 50 CYA is waaaay less active than the 1 or 2 PPM unbuffered chlorine in your tap water.