Pool Died? Is it PSI 0?

Ok, the pool's dead.

I had not even done anything yet and when I woke up the next morning the pool was "on" but it wasn't doing anything. The PSI was 0. I think I've made it worse now though?

Here is what I did:
1. Tried to run backwash but did it wrong. I think I was basically emptying the pool? The water level was going down. I turned the lever to "unlock" but didn't pull it up. PSI went up to 7 there for a very brief time, then fell back down.
2. Figured the above out and then ran backwash the correct way. (I hope)
3. Pool still wouldn't "work" ... I'm thinking this has something to do with the PSI?? I think here is where I made a very bad error because I opened the item that said "Do not overtighten" while the pump was on. I'm sure I probably made things worse?? I also tightened the screw that is by the PSI gauge as it was more than half-unscrewed (could be another error?)
4. Ran backwash again (just thought maybe reversal process would "build up" PSI?)
5. Added water to pool but level just kept getting lower and lower.
6. Shut off pool - probably bad idea but I was afraid to burn pump out (if even possible?)

I'm at a loss here. I think this PSI is the issue, but how do I build back up the pressure?

But again please note, pool was already PSI 0 before I even did anything and yes, that lever is in the down position and the skimmers are clean.

No nothing, the pools not running at all. The only time I get anything from the return jets is when it's in backwash. Then I get intermittent spurts (one about every 30-60 seconds that last about 15 seconds) with quite a bit of air.

The pump is pumping (I think? since it's making noise and heat and the "Do not overtighten" area does have water intermittently) but nothing is happening in the pool itself except (I think? not sure) the skimmers are sucking water in.

Does it sort of surge? Starts to work, makes some noise, the abruptly stops, repeating regularly.

It sounds like nothing more sinister than low water level. Check inside the skimmer. Is the flapper sticking closed? When it does work, do you see a vortex, like a tornado or a toilet flushing?

I think Richard has it nailed with the low water level.

Be sure not to adjust the multiport while the pump is running. Shut the pump off, move the lever to backwash, then turn the pump back on. 3 minute is usually enough.The water level in the pool will drop during backwash. The pump is flushing the dirt out of the filter and the dirty water goes out the waste line. When the filter is clean, shut the pump off, move the lever to rinse, then turn the pump on. Run for thirty seconds and then repeat the pump off and on routine to move the lever to filter again.

You have me scratching my head-- when you backwash, shouldnt there be nothing coming from the returns? Seems to me that air and or water coming from the returns means its either in filter or recirculation mode? Air, in that case would would probably mean the skimmers are sucking air, no? JohnT, I did that once blowing a crack in the multiport $$$$$

One problem at a time. Regardless of what comes out where, is the pump drawing water? Is it sucking air and losing prime?

You might have torn an Oring or something in the backwash valve. But first you need to get some water pumping. Any problem with the valves should be easy to figure once you have water flowing.

Ok, thank you everyone so very much for responding!

All right, had the fight with it again yesterday lol. It's off again as it just seems to be wasting electricity and water.

Does it surge? Hmmm, I don't know. This is what it's doing when I have it on:

1. The pump is of course is making noise.
2.There is intermittent water coming up to the lid of the (main?) basket (near the pipes). It's about every 15-20 min? (I don't know I haven't exactly timed it). It looks normal during that time (I think?) but that only lasts about 1 min. each time.
3. There are little sprays of water coming out of a (what appears to be) very small shower head on the top of the sand tank ONLY when #2 is occuring. Otherwise nothing's happening.
4. There is suction going down the skimmer in the deep end but the shallow end is not sucking at all (baskets are clean, yes and the flappers are not stuck closed on either skimmer).

I suspected low water level, but everytime I put the filter on the level keeps dropping. I can't figure it out. I ran a garden hose into it yesterday for 6-7 hours straight and when the 6-7 hours was completed the water level had dropped (lol) about 3/4 of an inch.

I don't know. I know it DOES seep some water because it needs to be refinished, but the rate at which the water is leaving is ACCELERATING when I have the pump ON compared to when I have it off. The ratio is about 8:1 (approximately).

It's almost as if the pump is emptying the pool, but I can't figure out why/how. The lever for backwash is DOWN. I hope it shouldn't be up? As far as I understood up is only for backwash.

What I did yesterday:

I suspected that the pump had lost its prime (?), so I looked up how to manually prime a pump using the open (main?) basket item and pouring water in with having all the pipes closed procedure. I did that multiple times but it made no difference. Yes, I shut off the pump while doing so.

The problem with that whole thing I did was..... all the youtube vids I watched had only 3 pipes and I have 5 lol. I shut off the 3 I believed it was... but I did so many different combinations (I did the process at least 10 times with various pipes closed and open) I'm sure I would have gotten the right mix... but still nothing worked.

Ok so I think my main problem now is (lol):
Somehow every time I put the pump on I'm losing water.

Sorry for so much text. I just like to be thorough, so that it may be easier to understand what's going on.

Thank you all again. I feel like drowning myself in this pool lol. The odd thing is I've gotten the green to sort of a deep aquamarine. I can see the hope! I just can't get it to filter. :(

Right there: "I suspected low water level, but everytime I put the filter on the level keeps dropping."

The on again-off again is caused most likely by low water. Losing water only when the pump is on indicates a leak after the pump. Can you see your backwash (waste) pipe? Unless you're actually backwashing, you shouldn't see any water coming out. It could be just as simple as a torn O-ring. Here's what a backwash valve does. Those red lines are the O-rings. There are a few more sealing the shaft and the top of the thing, but you'd see water squirting out of them if they were bad. I tried to keep it simple.
attachment.php

So there are five ports on your backwash valve. One from the pump, two to the filter, one back to the pool possibly through a heater, and the waste port. You have to see what's happening at the waste port.

It's almost as if the pump is emptying the pool, but I can't figure out why/how. The lever for backwash is DOWN. I hope it shouldn't be up? As far as I understood up is only for backwash.

Yes, pool sabatoge *happy* was the problem here. My father had left the lever in backwash position and told me it was in pumping position, so everytime I thought I was pumping I was really backwashing and vice versa. I suspected that; however, I didn't really want to think negatively.

Anyway, I figured that out and the pool is now running ok. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond, but the pool is not the only thing that needs a lot of work and repair (yard, house, etc.).

I believe I've also figured out what most of the pipes are but there is still 1 that perplexes me. I will be posting a picture of the piping eventually in hopes that someone can ID what is what. As far as I can tell I have 2 skimmer valves, a main valve, a valet valve, a slide valve... and then there is this anonymous red valve. This could perhaps be the backwash (waste) pipe?

Meanwhile my main priority is trying to figure out filtration requirements and chemical balance which I will be using the information on this site for.

Thanks for the reply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.