Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal testing kits

1. Back To Top    #1

Metal testing kits

Hi everyone -

I periodically have metal staining in my liner pool. I am suffering with it right now (confirmed with a Vitamin C test). I checked the site and I am finding the copper and iron test on tftestkits.net. Are there any other metals I should be on the lookout for kits on and also, just confirming, they are only sold separately and not in a combo kit, etc? The Item numbers are K-1716 and K-1730.

I would like to get the kits to I can confirm the best approach for treatment but I dont yet know metal it is in the pool; does the Vitamin C test indicate one or the other typically?

Many thanks for your help!
    Lorraine
    New Jersey based 18'36' IG Liner Pool
    Emerson 1081 Pump 1.0 HP, Hayward DE 4800 Filter
    Approx. Gallons - 27500. There is no spa, no salt, no heater.
    Results produced by TF-100 Test Kit, also have an iron kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metal testing kits

When vitamin C works you almost always have iron stains.

There are some other possible metals, but they are quite rare and the test kits are expensive.

If you have repeated staining, you are not using enough sequestrant. Sequestrant bonds to the metals in the water and holds on to them so they can't form stains.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason -

Thanks, I'll order the iron kit and start with that. We aren't using any sequestrant as I've never quite known what it was or how to address it to keep it at bay. I'm having some cloudiness issues with the pool now, so I'm running elevated chlorine levels. Once I get those cleared up I will move on to this, but will get the kit ordered today so I have it ready.

Thanks for confirming!
    Lorraine

4. Back To Top    #4

Sequestering agents sort of isolate the iron. If iron is chocolate, then Sequestrant is the hard candy shell on your M&M's. As long as the shell is there, you don't see any chocolate in your pool. Once it breaks down, you have a melting chocolate mess.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks as always, Richard. I do appreciate the explanations and the candy references, now I would prefer a pool that looked like a blue M&M instead of a light brown/greenish one