Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Way to Chlorinate

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Way to Chlorinate

Hello All - First let me say I am new to the Forum. I have been lurking, reading and studying the site for a couple months now. Let me say I am impressed! I have owned pools and spas in the past and have used every possible chemical known to man MY wife and I also have backgrounds in Aquariums / Biology so we know water chemistry a little more than the average person.

Recently we just purchased a new home in LA with a pool. This is the biggest and nicest pool we have ever owned and we want to do it right. It is gunite free form, approx 19,000 gallons, Flagstone waterfall. Overall the pool was in good shape when we moved in. It did show some signs of algae in the crevices but water was clear. The previous owner used the glorious hockey pucks. On initial test our CYA level was ~170 ppm. Needless to say, this research on the site showed me I needed to take action. We have performed 2 - 50% water changes and now have the CYA down to ~ 65 ppm (I know still high, but at least managable?)

The question and delima I am having is this... What is the best way to Chlorinate. I know bleach will work, but seems this is a daily process. And at 8.25% (what I can find locally) is taking a lot of gallons (used 12 during the slamming). Of course I am on the go quite often so I am affraid of missing a few days. TriChlor / DiChlor will add CYA, CalChlor will add Calcium, I cannot go Salt due to my natural rock waterfall..... I just cant decide the best approach....

Of course the local BioGuard dealer says their products are easy to use. One thing that bothered me is when I took an intial water sample, their test showed 80 PPM CYA and my test (Lamotte Color Q) showed 170 ppm. They also told me I did not need to worry about CYA - Huh, figure that.

Thanks for the suggestions! Really enjoying the site and I am sure you all will be hearing from me more often now

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Way to Chlorinate

Welcome to TFP!

You might want to look into getting a SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Lose the Color Q. The results are unreliable. I've had as much as 2 ppm difference in chlorine level taken back to back from the same sample. Get the TDF-100 with the speed stir option. Well worth the money.

I would also recommend the SWG.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would LOVE the SWG - But have read all the horror stories about the salt eating the natural rockwork, below is what I am dealing with...

pool1.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

I have nothing to add to help you...just wanted to comment on how beautiful the pool looks with that rock work! Gorgeous!
    7600 Gal. ABG; Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter; 1hp Power-Flo LX Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Easy, get a Stenner pump to pump liquid chlorine (bleach) during you pump cycles...
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome!

Gorgeous Pool!

Adding bleach is a daily process. Your pool is like a pet, it needs to get fed daily, even if you're too busy to play with it.

I'll echo everyone else: get a good test kit, get some numbers you can trust, and keep close tabs on things. Once it's all dialed in, you'll know your pool's appetite, and on those busy days, you can just dump in the usual amount of bleach and play catchup tomorrow. How long does it take to dash out, grab a jug, and eyeball 1/2 of it (or whatever)? 20 seconds? It takes longer than that to set up the coffeemaker!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I approve of the Stenner Pump for daily bleaching. I really just check on it once a week and it's been a great addition to my pool ownership. It really makes it pretty automated. Once a week check the chemicals, good to go!
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

9. Back To Top    #9

I like the idea of the dosing pump. Any specifics on which pump you guys are using and how you have it setup? Thanks!

BTW - I really love my pet pool!!! But I even have an automatic feeder for my cat

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kelli372 View Post
    I have nothing to add to help you...just wanted to comment on how beautiful the pool looks with that rock work! Gorgeous!
    Thanks Kelli - I absolutely love the pool, one of the main reasons I bought the house. !!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Richard - I just went out and purchased the Taylor K 2006-C test kit, hopefully that will give me better readings.
    Louisiana - 19,000 gal, Free form Gunite / Quartz Plaster, Flagstone Waterfall, Cartridge Filter, 1.5hp Hayward Pump, additional pump for waterfall. - Just purchased the Taylor K2006-C Test Kit based on feedback