Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Various tools for tightening pump lid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Various tools for tightening pump lid?

Hope this is in the right forum.....

are there different kinds of special tools to tighten the access lid on my pool pump? I bought one from Leslie's but because of the location of the pump, the plumbing and valves are in the way so I can only hand tighten the lid. I need some sort of "T" wrench to come at it from the top. I see a little bit of water beading up and running out (not very much). I replaced the o-ring and lubed it up really well but I can't seem to tighten that lid anyfurther. I attached a picutre of my type of lid...sorry...I'm at work and can't take actual pics of my set up.

~Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG Plaster with raised spill-over Spa, ~26,000 gallons, Built 2001
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Various tools for tightening pump lid?

I've never seen one that needed any more than "hand tight".
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

It only needs like maybe another eighth of a turn at best but I just can't seem to get the leverage I need to do it. If they only need to be hand tight, why do they make other types of tightening tools?
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

4. Back To Top    #4

If you need a tool to tighten the lid enough to prevent leaks then something is wrong and should be fixed. Check to see if there is any debris on the mating surfaces and that the sealing gasket is clean, lubricated, and free of cuts or nicks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If they only need to be hand tight, why do they make other types of tightening tools?
    I'm not sure what that means but they really do need to be only hand tight......if that much.

Mine will make an airtight seal if I simply align the rubber 0-ring.....I don't even need to turn the lid.

I am not suggesting all lids work like that but I am emphasizing that excessive tightening of the lid (on a working, not damaged pump) serves no function and can make it difficult to remove
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

You should definitely not need a tool to tighten the lid, and personally I have never seen one. Just lube up the o-ring good and then hand tight. Also, the lid is on the suction side of the pump, so when the pump is running, no water can be seeping out as air would be more likely to be drawn in.

They DO sell a tool for that lid (I have that pump at previous house), but it is specifically designed to only allow you to loosen the lid and not tighten it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok that makes sense and the water was only beading up and leaking when I shut off the pump. Might have just been a single occurrance as I didn't see any indications of it yesterday. Thanks for all the inputs.
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated