Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystal clear green water

1. Back To Top    #1

Crystal clear green water

Ok, my water has been kept on SLAM level for 19 days now and is still bright green. We can see the bottom of the pool but it is green . On my other post it was mentioned by chem geek that it could be iron in the water. I had actually had the water tested at the pool store and asked specifically to test for iron and copper. The lady ran a test, did a printout but it didn't show anywhere on the test printout so I asked if there were metals. she said oh...no metals, it just didn't print. I am now thinking maybe she didn't test it at all? Also when I uncovered the pool this year it was very dark green, on clearing I found a large orange colored rock in the middle of the pool ( thinking grandchildren threw it in) could that have added metals to the water? We have never before had metals but the pool is clear green.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crystal clear green water

I'd say if she ran the metals test it would automatically come up on the print out. They never miss an opportunity to sell somebody something!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Metals won't show up on the test when they in the form that colors the water.

Try using a startup dose of sequestrant and/or lower the PH to around 7.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the qick responses! I'll try it today.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

5. Back To Top    #5

OK...pool store said 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates, 0 iron, 0 copper...

my test results are FC 33, cc 0
    TA 40
    PH 8.3+
    CYA 25
    Do I just keep slamming? I know I need to bring the FC down...I had raised it due to lack of results...my bad...What do I do now?
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

6. Back To Top    #6

If the water is a completely clear transparent green and you have passed the overnight FC loss test, then stop SLAMing.

The next time FC is below 10, test and adjust the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.5.

FC levels will come down fairly quickly on their own. By tomorrow FC should be below 10, and the next day it will probably be back to normal levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Will the water lose the green by getting the ph down? It's still bright green today...I still need to add salt (312 lbs) before turning on the SWG. If I have to drain the pool I don't want to waste the salt. Someone is coming over today to dump the salt in for me but I am worried about bright green water. It's like a pool full of Palmolive. Please advise...I am lost here
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

8. Back To Top    #8

The color means you have metals in the water. You can replace the water with metal free water, if any is available, and that will save you money in the long run. Or you can use sequestrant. I suspect that there are metals in your fill water, and you have no choice but use sequestrant, but that is just a guess and not for sure.

The combination of lower FC level, lower PH, and sequestrant will get rid of the green for sure. However, you will probably need to keep replenishing the sequestrant for the rest of the season.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. Today I will add sequestrant. I have no other water available to me here, not to mention its a lot of water...I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your help here.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

10. Back To Top    #10

BTW, sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

So do I need one specifically for salt water pools? Also specifically for vinyl liners? If my municipal pool water has metals wouldn't everyone here have the problem or does bleach add metals? I haven't added anything else to my water except tons of elbow grease, that is.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

12. Back To Top    #12

Bleach won't add metals and The Purple Stuff is the one you need.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

13. Back To Top    #13

What is "municipal pool water"? Did you fill the pool with the same water that runs through your house? If so, check your toilet tank. If it's all orange in there your water has iron in it. Most municipal water supplies don't have iron, though. Bleach doesn't add any metal.
    22,000 gallon in-ground kidney-ish shape: 1 HP pump and Triton TR60 sand filter. NEW: Dolphin Nautilus robot! :)

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes it is the same water as the house from the city. No orange ever in the toilets. I have no clue where I could get metals from when we have had the pool 4, yrs with no metals. If it isn't metal will the sequestriant hurt anything?
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by CindyG1 View Post
    Yes it is the same water as the house from the city. No orange ever in the toilets. I have no clue where I could get metals from when we have had the pool 4, yrs with no metals. If it isn't metal will the sequestriant hurt anything?
    No. No different than spraying Lysol on a surface already free of germs.

Bright green usually means copper... is there any chance someone could have tried killing algae with copper sulfate? No empty jugs of this stuff for ponds laying around?

The color is quite similar to this, isn't it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

No. No one puts anything in the pool except me. I never bought or used anything like that and the color is more of a lime green not a blue green.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok the algae remover was put in the water by a well meaning daughter in law... I went to take it back to walmart and it was gone. So I just went and bought metal stain and scale out at Home Depot. It says the chlorine has to be below 3 so I can't use it yet. The water should be beautiful if it works since it's really pretty now if it weren't green. I feel very relieved to know that the product was added even though I could gladly strangle her for doing it. She was pressure washing the house and figured shed just do that for me.. I did read the label at Walmart and the first ingredient listed is copper 3.3 percent. So now we know the rest of the story! Since the water test showed no metals can I safely assume it won't take too much to clear it out?
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

18. Back To Top    #18

You are on the right track.

The metal test doesn't really tell you anything. When metals are in the form that colors the water they don't show up on the test.

19. Back To Top    #19

It's like a mystery novel in here! Glad you found the culprit. Hoping for the best for you.

18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

20. Back To Top    #20

I love mysterys...but I'd rather not star in it! I'll keep you posted.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast