Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing for Calcium Hardness with a Vinyl Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing for Calcium Hardness with a Vinyl Pool

In reading about CH with vinyl pools, it appears as though CH is not important. Is it accurate to say you do not need to test for CH at all with a vinyl liner?
    22,500 gal Lagoon shaped inground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP super pump, Aqua Heat Pump, Nexus Pure SWG, Aquabot, Hebron, CT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing for Calcium Hardness with a Vinyl Pool

Its good to know what it is, in case it's too high. You can still develop scale on vinyl liners if you are not diligent monitoring PH. Also if it's a new equipment situation - some heaters require a min 250 CH for the warranty to be valid. You can test it once a season, unless you know your fill water is low, it's not something I worry about.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Testing for Calcium Hardness with a Vinyl Pool

Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified by asking is it not something you should worry about if it is on the low end. This is my 9th pool season and for the last several years CH tests in the 30-40 range very consistently. With that said, it appears your advice of testing once (or so) a season is probably safe.
    22,500 gal Lagoon shaped inground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP super pump, Aqua Heat Pump, Nexus Pure SWG, Aquabot, Hebron, CT