Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Standard problems

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Standard problems

finally broke down a bought the 50ppm CYA standard. wasnt having problems just wanted to know that i was getting close to my target level and wanted to calibrate my eye. So i recieved the standard and have not been able to get any results with it. It is crystal clear at 50 ppm and even when i fill the test tube all the way up to the top i can still see the black dot crystal clear. So I began to think that maybe it is made so that it resembles 50ppm CYA in regular water and that i still had to add the CYA test reagent to it and then do the test, then it was so cloudy that i couldnt see the black dot with only a couple drops in the tube showing over 100ppm. Any thoughts?

FC 5ppm
    CC 0ppm
    TA 110 ppm (working on getting this down to 70-90)
    PH 7.5ppm
    salt 3000ppm
    CH 50ppm
    18, 000 gal.
    Inground, Vinyl lined
    300# Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward pump
    Pool Pilot Digital SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Standard problems

You need to treat the reference solution just like you would pool water, i.e. add reagent to it, mix for 30 seconds, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

O.K. I'll try that again when i get home. I just wasnt sure when i did it the fisrt time because when i mixed it with the reagent i couldnt see the black dot at over 100ppm and that was in the middle of the day with sun overhead.
    18, 000 gal.
    Inground, Vinyl lined
    300# Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward pump
    Pool Pilot Digital SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Did the test again using the solution with good results and i dont know how anyone could ever get accurate results without using a standard first to see what to expect. holding the sample tube at chest or stomach level i would get inaccurate results with the standard (reading 50ppm standard at 80-100). it wasnt until i held the sample tube down at waist level with sun DIRECTLY overhead that i could get satisfactory results using the 50ppm standard solution. I could see where i could have easily been off by 30ppm on my results before using the standard ( I was thinking i had 80ppm in my pool water already and actually only had around 50ppm). I would definately recomend getting the standard solution to anyone who does this test.
    18, 000 gal.
    Inground, Vinyl lined
    300# Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward pump
    Pool Pilot Digital SWG