Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help? Pool stops circulating after awhile

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Help? Pool stops circulating after awhile

I am soooo frustrated, please help! I have had my pool for 2 years. It is a above ground 24' pool with a hayward sand filter. I have all my chemicals balanced perfect. And now my pump isnt working right. I can turn my pump on and it works perfect for 3 hours+- and then it stops sucking water into the skimmer or stops circulating water. There will be hardly any water circulation and very little water blowing out the return in the pool. But if i backwash it, then it will work perfect again for 3 hours and then stop again. I have no idea whats happening. I have already replaced the sand and oring on pump lid and the pressure stays the same, it doesn't go up or down? Any ideas?
    Last edited by JasonLion; 05-19-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Remove all uppercase

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Help? Pool stops circulating after awhile

How does you water look? Are we talking about a green swamp here? Welcome to TFP.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

That is normal if you have algae, less common but not unheard of if you don't.

Keep cleaning the filter, and clean up the water, until things get back to normal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Is the pump basket filling with air? Could you have a suction side air leak?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner