Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to lower chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to lower chlorine?

In the near future I am going to do an AA treatment. My chlorine is currently 5.0 with all other chemicals in balance. How do I lower chlorine prior to treatment? Should I turn off the SWG for a week or so?

Is there a link anywhere detailing how much sequestrant to add after the treatment and the amount to use to maintain afterwards?

Do you have to take your water to a pool store to test metals in the future or is there a home test?
    21K gal SWG gunite pool/spa/waterfall, Goldline ProLogic controls, 2 2.0 HP Hayward Northstar pumps, hayward heater, 4 cartridge, Polaris 9300 sport robot, TFP-100 test kit owner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: How to lower chlorine?

Normally you just stop adding chlorine and the sun will lower it for you. There are a couple of chemicals that will lower chlorine if you are in a hurry.

For sequestrant, follow the directions on the sequestrant you buy. They vary a little from brand to brand.

Home tests are available for metals, though they are mildly expensive. For example look for the iron and copper tests here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School