Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with high TA (I think)

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with high TA (I think)

I fought my small above ground Intex all summer last year. NOT AGAIN! I stumbled upon this site and am very impressed. That being said, I bought the TF100 and let my inner chemistry geek shine. My pool has been filled for a week. I added a SWG for the first time this year and it has been on for about four days.

My first test results from tonight:
    FC: 1.5
    CC: 1.5
    CH: 275
    TA: 210 (did twice to be sure it wasn't my error)
    CYA: 55 (added three days ago)
    Ph: 7.5-7.8 (still getting use to reading those colors)

My TA is very high, based on Pool School articles. My CH is approaching top levels.

So, if I am reading this right any suggestions or help? Anything anyone see I am missing?

Thanks for the help. Glad I ran across this resource!
    Justin
    1500 gallon Intex Easy Setup above ground pool. Sand filter pump with SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with high TA (I think)

Wecome!

The TA test is prone to misreading when the reagents are new. It gets staic electricity on the tip, which makes the drops smaller than they should be, which means more drops, which means falsely high readings. The cure is to wipe the tip off with a damp paper towel.

Recheck those FC & CC readings. FC is too low for your CYA, CC is way too high for a clear pool only a week old.

This thread goes into more details. Unleash your inner chemistry geek and read all sorts of odd bits of information.
    There's also videos that demonstrate the tests here.

madscientist.jpg
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! Glad you found us.

CH really doesn't matter in a vinyl pool. Yes, TA is high, but as long as you keep pH in line, it will fall to where it needs to be. I wouldn't worry about it.

You need to be laser beam focused on your FC and CC. First, your FC is too low, but more troubling is the CC reading. Has that been consistently above .5? Or is this result an outlier? You may need to SLAM the pool with a CC reading of 1.5.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

We've had a ton of rain this weekend. Today's test results:
    FC: 1
    CC: 0
    CH: *didn't test today*
    TA: 200
    CYA: 75
    Ph: 7.8

Thoughts? Am I okay?

5. Back To Top    #5

Unless the rate at which the PH is going up bothers you, just lower PH to 7.2 any time it gets to 7.8, and don't worry about TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Thoughts? Am I okay?
    No, Sir!
    You need to be laser beam focused on your FC and CC. First, your FC is too low
    Get your FC up to 4-6 ppm and keep it there all summer. The key to successfully managed pool water is chlorine. You must quickly learn what your normal ranges are (3-6 ppm) and then do what is necessary to make sure it stays in that range 24/7
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Great. Thanks for the quick replies. Still getting the hang of this. I ran my swg on boost tonight. Will test again tomorrow and get focused on that ph and fc.

Thanks!