Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown stains

I am wondering if I can send you some pictures of our pool that has got brown stains all over it. I cannot seem to upload using your program. The pool was automatically overdosed with chlorine and this has made the brown appear. We have been told it is calcium and that there is nothing we can do. This is a commercial pool used for teaching children to swim so we are not at all happy that we cannot do anything to resolve this issue. Can you advise please?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brown stains

Welcome to TFP!

I split your post out to its own thread to get better visibility.

We can probably help, but you'll need to post a good set of test results for the water chemistry and some information about your pool surface.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Are the stained areas rough, or smooth? Calcium scaling is usually rough. If smooth, they are probably iron stains. Another test you can do is to place a vitamin C tablet on one of the stained areas. If the stain lightens or vanishes it is an iron stain.

Iron stains can be removed fairly easily. Calcium scaling can also be removed, but that is a fair bit of work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use a free photo hosting site like PhotoBucket to post your pics. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...oto-s-Tutorial

Welcome to TFP
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!