Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool New Pool Help!!

Our new pool will be installed tomorrow and filled with city water. Went to the pool store and were quoted $243 for start up chemicals.
    Stain/Scale
    10 lb baking soda
    35 lb Calcium
    super shock
    conditioner
    algaecide
    chlorine tabs

I have been reading as much as I can on this forum, and think we would like to try this method.
    I purchased and received the TF-100 kit today, and was hoping to get some advice. I plan on getting some tap water
    and letting it sit until tomorrow then doing the initial tests. Priced the 100% CYA stabalizer and Bleach at Walmart bookmarked the pool math and we are ready to get started. We are hoping we will be able to comprehend all the necessary steps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the pool place allready has enough of our money.
    Thanks.
    13.5 k gallon, AG Swim n' Play Inc. Islamorda 24 ft. round , Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter 40GPM.
    Install 5/20/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Help!!

Welcome to TFP!!!

You can not let the tap water sit that long before you test as at least the FC, CC, and pH will change.

You just will need come bleach and to get the CYA dissolving (could do that while filling if you put it in a sock and tie it to a noodle or something).
    And then maybe adjust pH depending on your test results. Forget all that other garbage from the pool store.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the reply, does that mean I can test the water right out of the tap then?
    13.5 k gallon, AG Swim n' Play Inc. Islamorda 24 ft. round , Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter 40GPM.
    Install 5/20/14

4. Back To Top    #4

$243!!! I'm in the wrong business.

You will need CYA. There is none in tap water. You've found that already at Walmart.
    You will need bleach. They sell that at Walmart, too. One-stop shopping, unless the shelves have been picked clean in the Omigod-Memorial-Day-is-this-weekend stampede
    You may need baking soda, or borax, also Walmart. 1/4 pool store price for same chemical, plainer packaging. You may need some pool acid. Big Box hardware store, pool or paint section.

Unless your tap water is full of iron, and you'd know that by the stains in the sinks and toilets, you don't need scale stuff. If you keep up the FC, you will never need algaecide. You have a vinyl pool, so you will never need to raise Calcium. And you're wisely chooisng to use bleach, so you don't need tablets or shock.

You've just recouped the cost of that test kit, and some beer money leftover to boot!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the reply. One thing I'm confused about is the target CYA# is 30 to 50, but it says if you have high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80.
    We get about 8/2 hours of sun, so should I shoot for the low or high range?
    Install 5/20/14

6. Back To Top    #6

Shoot for the 30 to 50 range. The 70 to 80 is typically for SWG pools.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Start at 40-50ppm and see how your FC consumption is. Easier to add more later than to try to remove it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic charlie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. One thing I'm confused about is the target CYA# is 30 to 50, but it says if you have high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80.
    We get about 8/2 hours of sun, so should I shoot for the low or high range?
    Target 40. But if it works out nice that the whole package will bring it to 44, close enough.

If you run 70 or 80, your minimum FC every day will be beyond the OTO colormatching test. That means the FAS-DPD test every single time.

If you decide after a few weeks that you're losing too much bleach to the sun, it's easy enough to raise CYA. Just add more. But getting rid of too much means draining the pool, and refilling it, and rebalancing it, and who wants the grief?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!