Pool surface foams when SWG is active

May 19, 2014
Columbia SC
I have a newly installed Hayward Aqua Rite SWG system with a T-15 cell. It is set up on an in ground Plaster pool that holds 25,000 gallons. It was installed and we began operating it 5 days ago. It was purchased new. The problem is that when the T-15 cell activates and begins producing chlorine the surface of the water becomes covered in a thin "film" like foam. It resembles soap foam. This only happens when the cell is chlorinating and about 15 minutes after the cell stops the surface clears up and it is beautiful. I have used cheap Algaecide recently before installing the system. Would this still be causing the foaming? This has never happened before and it only happens when the cell is actively generating. Someone please help! I convinced my wife to let us spend the money on the system under the impression that it would make maintenance easier. Not the case so far!

I have used cheap Algaecide recently before installing the system. Would this still be causing the foaming? This has never happened before and it only happens when the cell is actively generating.
That would be my guess. Algaecides have been known to cause foaming, although not sure I have seen it linked to the SWG running before. The foaming is likely the algaecide being broken down by the high concentration of chlorine that occurs while the SWG is running.

We almost never recommend the use of algaecides, although this is not one the usual reasons why. There just is no need if you maintain adequate FC which is a function of your CYA level.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Water Balance for SWGs

Thanks, I have fought my free chlorine since opening the pool and have yet to get a reading of anything higher than .5. trying a serious shocking at this time and hopeful it helps. Chemistry numbers are as follows:
FC .5
TAC 3
Salt 3500
CH 230
CYA 35
TA 120
pH 7.6
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphates 300

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm new to this but reading every part of this forum and learning a bunch. Thanks!

First, I know those of pool store test results and those are just not good enough. They are proven over and over again to be inaccurate and inconsistent. If you want to take control, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

After getting that, you need to follow the SLAM Process to ensure that there is nothing in you water that is consuming the FC. Do NOT do whatever the pool store is telling you to do to "shock" the pool.

IF you choose to believe those numbers, the fact that the TC > FC indicates a high presence of CC which require the SLAM process and likely explain why you can not maintain FC. A SWG CAN NOT fight an algae battle. You must use liquid chlorine. Once the pool is clean, then the SWG is used to maintain the FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.