Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CDC Hot Tub Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

CDC Hot Tub Advice

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CDC Hot Tub Advice

Ok, so we should panic over a report of 16 incidents reported to the CDC in a 1 year calendar period with probably millions of operating hot tubs, many of which are poorly balanced? Personally I feel safe in my hot tub, I test the chlorine and pH before each use, have an SWG, an Ozonator, and a Nature2 mineral cartridge (admittedly the cartridge is not changed on a regular schedule)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

There are way more than 16 incidents of hot tub rash/itch/lung in a year. Most residential incidents do not get reported to the CDC. This isn't the same as reporting from commercial/public pools nor reporting of more serious diseases. Just on one spa forum alone I accumulated a dozen or more such incidents. The most common cause was using too little or no chlorine (sometimes due to use of "alternative" sanitizers, which really weren't). Use of Dichlor-only building up CYA over months may also be a cause but there were too few of those incidents to be sure.

Properly chlorinating with the Dichlor-then-bleach method has not led to reports of these problems and its been a few years now since that was started.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder how many monitor and change out the water on a regular basis which very important with the high temps found in a spa.
    44,000 gallon, Plaster pool, Hayward C4025 cartridge filter, 5hp pump, Geothermal heated to 87, Chlorine, with Rain curtain feature that has its own 5hp variable speed pump. A Detached Tiled Spa, 650 gallon, C1750 cartridge filter, Geothermal heated to 103, Both are IG but on the 4th Floor, the Equipment rooms are located on 3rd floor. (this is the pool I take care of at work)