Waterfall question

May 7, 2014
Georgia
The wife wants a waterfall built so that it spills into our ABG pool. I told her that I thought it would mess up the skimmer action due to water spilling into the pool where she would like it to be built. Am I correct in my thinking, that any amount of water spilling into the pool would interrupt the rotation of the water therefore causing the skimmer to be possibly bypassed by any floating debris?

Thanks

It depends, where does she want the waterfall? A waterfall is not that much different than a return but it will tend to send water in all directions away from where it hits. If it is opposite the skimmer, it shouldn't be a big issue. If it is over the skimmer, it could be an issue.

If it is only run when people are in the pool, then it really shouldn't matter. Also, I don't think that pump has a lot of lift. How high were you going to make the waterfall? You might check to see if it can lift the water that high.

If it is only run when people are in the pool, then it really shouldn't matter. Also, I don't think that pump has a lot of lift. How high were you going to make the waterfall? You might check to see if it can lift the water that high.

I would be using my Hayward that I took off when I bought the Intex SWG system so it would be independent of the pool pump.

My waterfall happens to be across the pool from my skimmer and has no problems with skimming. Actually the water coming out is forced across the pool and skims out bettter than it does going in a circular pattern as it forces the debris that would normally stay in the center of the pool across and to the skimmer. I also have a waterslide that sits about 2 panels upstream from the skimmer and it doesn't cause an issue at all. My pump runs everything at once just fine, no issues at all. This spring i even plumbed in a diverter for a homemade solar heater that works at the same time also. I have water coming from all sorts of directions and it's awesome!!

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w544/Lizzieann1/image_zpsf6ff7e32.jpg

mas985 said:
If it is opposite the skimmer, it shouldn't be a big issue. If it is over the skimmer, it could be an issue.
This quote gets to the point of the matter. I have an overflow waterfall that is at the mid-point of the pool with the skimmers on either end. Skimming works fine with this arrangement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.