Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to get sparkling water....advice needed please

1. Back To Top    #1

How to get sparkling water....advice needed please

Hi All,

So once you've got all the important chemistry together what can I add to the water to get that sparkling, clear, almost Evian look?

DK
    CERLAND OCTAGONAL ABOVE GROUND POOL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to get sparkling water....advice needed please

Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Wish I knew what the UK version would be!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm sure the experts will be around shortly to answer that....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5

"In June 2010 borax and boric acid were reclassified by the EU as “Reprotoxic Category 2“, suggesting that they may be harmful to the reproductive functions of humans in high doses, and the product package must display the skull and crossbones symbol. From December 2010 these products were no longer available for public sale within the EU. While this classification now applies for all of Europe, non-EU countries still have some leeway in regard to public sales."

Source: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm (much of this article should be taken with a grain of... borax)
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

6. Back To Top    #6

Then I'm not going anywhere near it!

7. Back To Top    #7

If you read the article, aside for the "benefits" portion, there's not much solid scientific "human data" supporting this move by the EU. The amounts they're talking about are extreme. It would be like using it in your tea like sugar.

Not that it matters much, if it's unavailable in your region, it's unavailable.

It wasn't too long ago our grandparents and great grandparents were using borax for toothpaste so how bad could it be?!
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by darrenkarp View Post
    Hi All,

So once you've got all the important chemistry together what can I add to the water to get that sparkling, clear, almost Evian look?

DK
    You said it all in your first 9 words. That's all it takes!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

What kind of filter do you have Darren?

10. Back To Top    #10

If you have a pool light, wait until dark, shut off the pump, wait for the water to be fairly still, switch the light on.

What do you see?

If you see a million tiny little floaties in the light beam then you might try using some clarifier.

Disclaimer: Might not work, might gum up your filter (especially DE filter, might do something unexpected!

If you do go that route, carefully follow the directions, don't use more than specified, plan to thoroughly clean your filter a day or two after.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV View Post
    What kind of filter do you have Darren?
    I've got an external sand filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

This can help filter fine particles:

Add DE to a Sand Filter

I wouldn't waste your money on a clarifier just yet.

13. Back To Top    #13

My water stays crystal clear (Evian-like) if I simply keep my chlorine and PH levels correct. I add stabilizer and I have added a little Borax but not much. My pool get less Evian-like when I let the chemicals drift to much. When i notice a loss of water clarity, I add some DE/Cellulose to the filter (1/2 cup maybe) and run the pump for 24 hours. The pressure rises significantly, I backwash the filter, and the pool is sparkling again. Then, I swear that I will never let it drift again. Fast forward a few months and I do it all again.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).