North Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Disclaimer - I have the TF-100 and use it regularly (used to use the Taylor similar kits) and have been testing my own pool for a long time and am very comfortable with it. A long time ago I used to periodically take samples to the local pool stores for check/comparison, but stopped that practice based on the large variability in results. Fast forward: today's pool stores seem to have shifted to computerized testing (I think Clear Care is a big name) which uses a very small water sample but I believe it "samples" the sample multiple times (10?) to arrive at results. Not sure what the analysis methodology is that it uses, but it does seem to be relatively consistent. I have the good fortune to be able to get my water tested just about as often as I want at a store and I've been comparing results to the TF 100. Pretty close. CYA and TA are very close, certainly within the testing method accuracy. Their Chlorine (TC and FC) tends to run a bit lower than the TF 100 results but only by 1-2 ppm for TC. pH is pretty close with the TF 100 test usually a bit lower than the store, but it's a subjective color comparison test so probably not worth mentioning.

So, question: Has pool store testing generally improved to the point that you can rely on the results? Everybody weigh in!

You just can't make a general blanket statement about pool store testing getting better. Their test practices, testing methods, and test results are all across the board. Because they generally hide the testing process there's no way to know what they used or how they arrived at the numbers.

Personally I think some of these new computerized testers are getting better, they still have problems, lets take the Waterlink Spin-Lab as an example. While results if used correctly seem to be fairly good, there are numerous chances to introduce operator errors. The test disk must be filled with a syringe while laying flat on a CLEAN surface, overfilling is a problem, and it must be handled by the edges only.

Here is an instruction video for the spin lab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDyJJn8J_pc If you want to take 5 or so minutes watch it for yourself, and ask yourself if you trust the kid in the pool store can and more importantly WILL pay attention to those details?

Ike

p.s. also note the spin lab machine costs about $1,000 and the test disks cost about $2 each

I don't know much about water testing devices....but I know blood testing devices. An electronic testing device in the healthcare world is only as good as the person who does the QC/calibration and the chemicals used to QC/calibrate. I expect that is also true in the water world. The machine I use 30x/day is QC'd with every sample (I'm lucky, my QC's are built in...this just means every sample costs more to get a reading on....and it makes the machine more idiot proof.) I'm a fairly well educated idiot. The point of this rant is that every store will be different (much like every lab is different - they try and try to minimize these differences...but they are). This is unavoidable currently. I may be lucky and find a store near me that has someone who knows what they are doing, and has a quality machine that reads accurately, where as a friend 20 miles away might not have the same luck...you just never know, and It could always change (say someone forgets to calibrate the machine....)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.