Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool setup help for a friend

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool setup help for a friend

Hi All,
    This is my second year with my pool and my first full season going BBB. I have read a ton on this site and so happy to have found it! I am amazed by all your knowledge. I am pretty comfortable with all my testing and pool care.

A friend of mine is having a 24' round AG pool with a vinyl liner installed tomorrow and asked me to help with her water startup. She purchased a SWG and I know little about them. She is filling the pool with tap water so I ran the tests today on our tap water with my TF-100:
    FC .5
    CC .5
    PH 7.2
    TA 20
    CH 40
    Can you tell me what we should start with? From what I have read I think I will get the PH up to 7.5-7.8, TA up to 60-80 & CYA to 70-80 first. How much salt will I need to add and how fast will the SWG bring the chlorine level up, will I need to add liquid chlorine? I normally use 12.5% liquid in my pool.

Thank you for your help & expertise in advance!!
    AG 24' round 52" walls, 12,900 gal
    Proline 22" sand filter, Proline 1hp pump, vinyl liner, Taylor TF-100 test kit, TFPC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool setup help for a friend

Use bleach until the SWG is ready to go. You do not usually want the SWG starting from 0ppm, better to start at the correct FC level.

Add the salt whenever you want, leave the SWG off and circulate for at least a day after adding salt.

I would leave the pH and just raise the TA to about 60-70 (this will raise the pH a little and the SWG will as well). You may want to add the CYA in 2 steps.

Use PoolMath to calculate how much of each chemical you need for a desired change.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Get it all balanced and running smooth as a bleach pool like he said ^^^ before you add the salt. Then hold Diamond Day. Post #5
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you!
    AG 24' round 52" walls, 12,900 gal
    Proline 22" sand filter, Proline 1hp pump, vinyl liner, Taylor TF-100 test kit, TFPC