Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Question

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Question

I've noticed that my PH seems to always rise to about 7.8 and then it seems to level off. The water is still a bit cold, but the kids have been playing in it on the really warm sunny days, but their hasn't been a whole lot of splashing and I don't keep my return jets pointed toward the surface so their really isn't much if any aeration going on. It seems that when I check my PH everyday, it is at 7.8. I was adding a bit of MA to bring it down to 7.5 each day, but it always seems to jump back up to 7.8 within a day or two. When I don't add the MA to make the small adjustment, it just stays at 7.8.

Is this something that is normal? Should I just not bother making the minor adjustment unless it rises higher then 7.8?
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Question

What is the TA level? If it's high, it will drive pH up. You can safely knock pH down to 7.2 and buy yourself a day's rest, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it stays at 7.8, then I might suggest just leaving it there if everything else is in range. Just make sure it does not go above 8.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TA was at 150 when I checked it on Thursday afternoon.

(I'm pretty sure it was 150 if my memory serves me correctly. I'm at work right now and I have my chart of test results at home so I wouldn't be able to check for sure until later tonight when i get home. Definitely in the 150-160 range though)
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath