Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool

I did a slam on May 6th the pool was clear so I didn't do an overniite test I haven't been diligent with the bleach adding and testing. Working allot of hours. Anyway my pool is now cloudy. I did a test on it the other day. I added a couple jugs of bleach. It is starting to clear over the weekend. I can see the bottom drains now. When i did the CYA I filled the tube all the way up and still could see the black dot. I am gonna test when I get home. Another thing I noticed my screws on my returns where rusty looking or discolored. I will post a pic of that later when I get home.
    What is my target # to keep my FC at? My pool is 24,200 gal
    FC- 1.5
    CC- 2
    CH- 375
    TA-90
    PH 7.5
    pool cloudy.jpgcloudy pool 2.jpg
    24,200 gal IG vinyl liner. Sand filter 1 1/2 hp Haywood pump. T2 turbo pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cloudy pool

What is my target # to keep my FC at?
    You have to consult the FC/CYA chart in Pool School. Assuming your CYA is zero, then you need to put in 10 ppm FC and KEEP IT THERE until your pool is clear.

I suggest you get some CYA ASAP and bring that to 40 ppm. Then, consult your FC/CYA chart for the new FC level.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you are being too lax ... add a bunch of bleach one day and calling that a SLAM is far from accurate.

You need to follow the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 criteria to stop (currently you are failing 2 of the 3 and unknown on the OCLT) ... and then maintain adequate FC for your CYA level.

As Dave said, I would add about 30ppm of CYA now and start to SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Where would I get CYA?
    24,200 gal IG vinyl liner. Sand filter 1 1/2 hp Haywood pump. T2 turbo pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Walmart, hardware stores, pool stores .... it is called conditioner or stabilizer in most places, the ingredient is ideally 100% cyanuric acid.

Use PoolMath to calculate how much you need.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Aqua-Chemical-Stabilizer-3lbs

Quote Originally Posted by egadds View Post
    Where would I get CYA?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

7. Back To Top    #7

http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155 Thats what you want-- you may have to order it site to store. it says my salt pool, but it works just fine with bleach too. If you can't find it at your local Walmart, you might check out Fleet farm, menards, or kmart for availability.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool is sparkling clear now. My CYA I can still see the black dot with the cylinder all the way full. My chlorine is 1.5. Should I bring my CYA up to 40-50 and then bring my chlorine up to 3-4?
    I bought 2 of the 3# containers of aqua chem. How much of that will I add?

9. Back To Top    #9

By pool math I need 8#'s. I guess I will put in the 6 I have and see what my CYA comes up to.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like a good plan ... wait a week to retest. But assume it is active once it dissolves to determine your FC level requirements.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

So should I go ahead and get my FC level up. I am having a pool party this Saturday.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

The directions said to broad cast in the deep. I tried disssovling one 3# canister in a 5gal bucket of hot water. But it just ended up a glob in the bucket. So I dumped it in. Then I just broadcasted the other canister in. I brushed it around abit before dark. I noticed this morning the material was just sitting on the bottom deep end. About how long will it take to dissolve? Also since I won't have a true CYA for a week. What should I get the FC up to for my party this weekend?

14. Back To Top    #14

Vac it up and the filter will capture it.

btw, we never recommend broadcasting CYA. It will sit on the bottom of the pool and can cause stains. It is acidic. Usually, we recommend using the sock method for adding CYA, but it can be added slowly to the skimmer (to be caught in filter) and leave the filter running.

- - - Updated - - -

24 hours after adding the CYA, 'assume' it is there and adjust the FC accordingly.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

15. Back To Top    #15

You should have searched the forum for how to add cya! Instructions I've seen on containers said to pour it in a skimmer--- also NOT recommended here. Definately not in a bucket! It doesn't dissolve fast enough as you've found out the hard way! Brushy brushy brushy!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Live and learn. I dont have a vac. I use a T2 autobot. I guess I could capture it in the filter bag and retrieve it that way then put in a sock.