Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Clorine and Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Clorine and Muriatic Acid

I read that many of you use liquid clorine and muriatic acid in your ABG Pool. I thought my local pool store said you should use the powdered stuff. I didn't read anything in the pool manual that said anything either way. What do you all think is the best way. Any advantages to either, or disadvantages? Thank you.
    Intex 9X18x52 Ultra Frame Pool, 5000 gals, Saltron Retro Saltwater Generator, Hayward Power Flow Matrix 1 1/2 hp pump, Xstream 150 sq/ft filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Liquid Clorine and Muriatic Acid

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...nate-your-pool This will probably answer most of your questions.

Click the Pool School tab or button up at top of this site for pool school. Read all that a cpl times (I suggest many breaks, as it made my eyes cross at first).
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these (note the last one describes the types of chlorine). After reading these (and some of the 1000s of threads on the forum) you should be able to make an informed decision.
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by vicsin View Post
    I thought my local pool store said you should use the powdered stuff. Any advantages to either, or disadvantages? Thank you.
    Your local pool store is going to tell you to buy the overpriced and many times unneeded things that they sell.

As has been suggested,

Buy a good test kit
    Read Pool School
    Save money
    Have a cleaner pool

The disadvantage is to the owner of your local pool store because you will no longer be assisting with his boat payment and Caribbean vacation this winter.

I admit that I have only had a pool for six months, but it is sparkling clear, no odors and a joy to have. All I have put in it is household bleach and muratic acid.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Pool shops are there to sell product, TFP only puts what you need in the pool...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

Thx for the suggestions about the pool school and the links. Read them all and my question answered very well.
    Intex 9X18x52 Ultra Frame Pool, 5000 gals, Saltron Retro Saltwater Generator, Hayward Power Flow Matrix 1 1/2 hp pump, Xstream 150 sq/ft filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Just note from what you read here that you should add most concentrated chemicals slowly over a return flow and then lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool where you've added the chemical to ensure thorough mixing. Some cautions from the pool store are because it's easier to sell a product that's less likely to be abused. Then again, it could just be about the money.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"