Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this a good deal for a heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this a good deal for a heater?

Looking to install a Hayward H400 FDN 400k BTU Heater (natural gas) for our 29k gallon above ground pool (liner). Will also require a 1.5hp super pump. The pool store is looking for $3k plus another $700 in labor. I have no clue if this is a good deal or not. Any help would be much appreciated.
    18ft/40ft, 29,600 Gallons, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump (HP1), Hayward CL220 Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this a good deal for a heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes View Post
    Looking to install a Hayward H400 FDN 400k BTU Heater (natural gas) for our 29k gallon above ground pool (liner). Will also require a 1.5hp super pump. The pool store is looking for $3k plus another $700 in labor. I have no clue if this is a good deal or not. Any help would be much appreciated.
    I just bought this PR406AENX - Raypak Heater 406,000 BTU NG w/ Cupro Nickel Tubing for my inground 27,000 plaster pool. The forum here recommended going with Raypak. I bought it online from inyopools.com for under $2K. The local pool places wanted closer to $3K and leaving it up to me to find an installer which in my area is impossible if your not contracted with a pool company already. I was hesitant to order such a high priced item online and have it shipped but I have to say, Inyopools had great correspondence via email and I received the heater within a week free shipping. I hooked it up yesterday which was very straight forward since I was replacing a similar heater (Jandy/Laars 400BTU NG). It only took a couple hours. Only been running a day but seems like a well made unit. Despite being cold enough for a frost this morning, it raised the water temp 10 degrees in 8 hours.

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding a heater does not require a larger pump ... that is just non-sense if that is what they are telling you. If anything I would suggest switch the motor on your existing pump to a 2-speed of the same size and run on low most of the time to save money on electricity.

I agree with the above that the Raypak heaters seems to get much better reviews than the Hayward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes View Post
    Do a bit more searching this forum with regards to the Haywards. Why do you think you need a bigger pump?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm having a Rheem 400k heater installed this week... Bought it from the pool store. They wanted close to $3k for it plus installation; researched online and found some really good prices for a Raypac. Shared those with the pool store and asked how close they could get to the online price. They came down to within $150 or so from the online price. In my opinion, the $150 is a small price to pay in case I have a problem or issue. I'd check with the store and see if their willing to deal... Worst case they say no.
    2013 21,500 Gal. 28' Round AB Doughboy
    DE Filter, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Solar & Rheem 400k heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Do a bit more searching this forum with regards to the Haywards. Why do you think you need a bigger pump?
    I don't know if I need a bigger pump - the pool store just recommended it. That said, my current pump is prob 10 yrs old, and this year is louder than ever, so was thinking of replacing it anyways.
    18ft/40ft, 29,600 Gallons, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump (HP1), Hayward CL220 Chlorinator