PB didn't listen - Phos Free will it cause damage

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
I really wish PB would listen...

Ok long story, but I will avoid all that...I have an issue with my filter not filtering and my PB insists I need PHOSFree to help my filter. I tell him NO NO NO NO, but guess what he does. Adds nearly a gallon of it to my skimmer. He says it is supposed to cause a "layer" on top of the filter media, bla bla bla.

Well, guess what, all that pucky milky stuff just blows right through my filter (what my problem is in the first place) and now my pool has 100 oz of this **** in it. My pool was already cloudy due to not filtering, so I can't really tell what damage, but are these chemicals in the water going to mess me up ? Thanks in advance!

Components CAS # Percent Composition/Information on Ingredients

• Lanthanum(iii) Chloride Heptahydrate 10025-84-0 3% - 7%
  • Zinc chloride 7646-85-7 3% - 7%
  • Aluminum, water-soluble salts, n.o.s.*** 1327-41-9 1% - 5%

The cloudiness is from a combination of some lanthanum phosphate and mostly lanthanum carbonate. Both should filter out, but you might need to add DE to your sand filter if you want to speed up the process. Of course, if the fundamental problem is some serious channeling in your sand filter or some other sort of bypassing of the sand, then nothing will really help much until you get that resolved.

You could try some filter fiber like Jack's Magic Filter Fiber Stuff instead of DE. DE or the fiber should help. It will also help diagnose the filter. If you watch the returns closely for about two minutes after adding DE or fiber, you should see some coming out if the filter is not working.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just replace the sand. Pursue the builder for the cost if you want, but you need to get the issue resolved now.

Also, check the multiport gasket to make sure that that is not the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.