Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PB didn't listen - Phos Free will it cause damage

1. Back To Top    #1

PB didn't listen - Phos Free will it cause damage

I really wish PB would listen...

Ok long story, but I will avoid all that...I have an issue with my filter not filtering and my PB insists I need PHOSFree to help my filter. I tell him NO NO NO NO, but guess what he does. Adds nearly a gallon of it to my skimmer. He says it is supposed to cause a "layer" on top of the filter media, bla bla bla.

Well, guess what, all that pucky milky stuff just blows right through my filter (what my problem is in the first place) and now my pool has 100 oz of this **** in it. My pool was already cloudy due to not filtering, so I can't really tell what damage, but are these chemicals in the water going to mess me up ? Thanks in advance!

Components CAS # Percent Composition/Information on Ingredients

• Lanthanum(iii) Chloride Heptahydrate 10025-84-0 3% - 7%
    • Zinc chloride 7646-85-7 3% - 7%
    • Aluminum, water-soluble salts, n.o.s.*** 1327-41-9 1% - 5%
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PB didn't listen - Phos Free will it cause damage

Cloudiness after phosfree is very common. Plug Cloudy phos free into the search box above and you'll find many discussions about it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It will not hurt anything chemically, but you are right it was not needed and apparently made the cloudiness worse.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes of course it made things worse...I assume at this point I just continue to try and FIGHT about my filter issue...will it eventually just break down I assume ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

It will eventually filter out, though that may take a week or two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The cloudiness is from a combination of some lanthanum phosphate and mostly lanthanum carbonate. Both should filter out, but you might need to add DE to your sand filter if you want to speed up the process. Of course, if the fundamental problem is some serious channeling in your sand filter or some other sort of bypassing of the sand, then nothing will really help much until you get that resolved.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Alrighty thanks guys I'm just glad to know there's no permanent damage... Adding de will not work as I have some sort of filter issue most likely from the glass vs sand media but that's another story

8. Back To Top    #8

You could try some filter fiber like Jack's Magic Filter Fiber Stuff instead of DE. DE or the fiber should help. It will also help diagnose the filter. If you watch the returns closely for about two minutes after adding DE or fiber, you should see some coming out if the filter is not working.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup that's exactly what happens when I had de it just pours out of the returns

10. Back To Top    #10

Just to ensure, no need to SLAM to fix this....I have a perfectly milky pool this AM with no overnight chlorine loss (well .5)

11. Back To Top    #11

Some DE will bypass a sand filter, but it shouldn't be much. It might be a faulty multiport or sand issue.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Some DE will bypass a sand filter, but it shouldn't be much. It might be a faulty multiport or sand issue.
    some I understand, but not all...problem is the **** media ECOSmarte markets as better than sand (however my PB won't replace so I continue to fight and show him the filter does not work)

13. Back To Top    #13

Just replace the sand. Pursue the builder for the cost if you want, but you need to get the issue resolved now.

Also, check the multiport gasket to make sure that that is not the problem.