Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter pressure. What should it read?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter pressure. What should it read?

Hi All,

As the topic suggests I'm looking for pointers as to what the correct pressure reading in psi for my sand filter. I assume the lower the better but then I need to know when I need to backwash. I just reconnected the pool yesterday. Should I have put the head on the filter to rinse?

Cheers
    DK
    CERLAND OCTAGONAL ABOVE GROUND POOL

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sand filter pressure. What should it read?

every install is different. I've been told to determine where yours is (with your current gauge - most of these gauges aren't terribly accurate...and vary from gauge to gauge). Backwash until the sightglass is clear. Then run your system on filter and see where it is.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

It is indeed different with every set up. Depends on all factors of plumbing, filter, pipe size, returns etc, etc, etc... As mrcarcrazy says, backwash your filter til sight glass is clear, then swap to rinse for about 30 seconds, then to filter. After the pump runs for a minute or two and pressure stabilizes, that's your clean pressure.

Mine is 14 psi.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

It should read somewhere between 0 and 40psi. The specific number depends on you setup (pump size, pump speed, filter size, plumbing, number of suction and return lines, number and size of eyeballs, etc).

You should do a good backwash, maybe even Deep Clean Your Sand Filter, and then see what your clean pressure is. Then backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks very much. If you could take a look at my other post regarding a noisy pump that'll be excellent.
    CERLAND OCTAGONAL ABOVE GROUND POOL