Opened pool with cloudy water

This is our 2nd year with pool. Last year we had green water when the pool was open. It was covered with tarp by earlier owner and opened with lots of dirt, leaves and what not. We slammed the pool as recommended by one of our friend and finally we had crystal clear water. We made solid cover and closed the pool thinking this year we will have clear water when we open. That is what everyone told us. But unfortunately the water was very cloudy not green as last year. We tested water and CYA is almost none. On my TFT test kit its below 20 as that is limit on the test. So I started slamming the pool FC 10 with bleach . Still no results.
My question :
Is it normal to open pool with cloudy water? Any particular care we need to take while closing the pool?
Do we have to replace the water ?

Welcome to TFP!

While opening to clean water is the goal, and many people manage it, plenty of people open to a green swamp.

There is no "correct" way to always open to a clean pool, rather there are a whole set of things you can do, which together mostly work. One important one is to close late and open early. You want the water to be around 50 degrees when you open/close. Another is right before you close to bring the pool up to shock level and add some polyquat (a particularly good algaecide).

Thank you so much for these tips. Also is it normal to open the pool with such low CYA . In a way it is good for slamming process but during sunlight do i need conditioning to my pool to retain some chlorine? If i add beach to shock level 10 within in an hour it is going down to 1-2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.