Today is the day! Finally! Baq conversion

Feb 6, 2014
Madison Co.
I have been reading this forum all winter long and debating if I had the nerve to change my pool over to Chlorine or if I would spend my hard earned money and go the easy, VERY EXPENSIVE route with Baquacil again...after reflecting on all my time fighting with pink slime last year, I have decided to change. YAY!!!! I will be taking the cover off the pool today after work and getting started. I received my test kit last week. Took everyone's advice and went with the XL version. Picked up 12 gallons of bleach (6%) yesterday at the store. I know that will only be a drop in the bucket but will pick up more before I get home.

I do have a few questions though, and yes I have read over the pool school a million times BUT it is much more comforting when I get answers as I ask them and feel like you guys are involved with me. LOL :salut:

Once I take the cover off and get filter running, should I let the water circulate first before checking my PH? And if so how long? I have read some people just let it circulate for a hour or so and check and then I read that I should let it circulate for a full 24 hours before doing any testing.

Either way, after checking the PH and getting it to range, then I will begin SLAMMING.

My other question is this....I have a BBQ at my house this coming up weekend. OF COURSE. Wait till last minute and want results now...am I the only one? LOL The truth is I meant to start on this 2 weeks ago but forgot I was going to need my test kit and then had to wait for it to come so..here we are.... but, the question....granted I can get my water cleared up and beautiful before Saturday..what are SAFE numbers for me to allow swimmers? Even if I am yet to pass the OCLT is it safe to have swimmers in my pool? We have a lot of children and just don't want to rush and have them in unsafe conditions.

Last thing....I do a partial drain every year so I just filled most of the pool with fresh water...will this cut down on the SLAMMING time at all or no? Been on Baquacil for 4 seasons. And I have a feeling the 5th on Chlorine will be the best. Will be off to get sand for filter and CYA on Wednesday from pool store for when I get to that step! I promise I wont jump and try to change to early! :p

Thanks for all the great help on this forum. I am ready to take over my pool. NO THANKS POOL STORE! I'm not buying! :mad:

Welcome to TFP!

Give the pump an hour to mix the water before testing.

The odds of having the pool swimmable by this weekend are low, but non-zero.

Yes, replacing water will speed things up significantly.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Focus on the conversion / SLAM process and don't think about next weekend. The process duration is greatly dependent on how methodical you are with the testing and adding chlorine.

Welcome Steeda, this is the place to be to get your questions answered, guidance for conversion and support to get it done. I too am in the midst of a conversion, day3 now. You can see my pics here. I am looking forward to a clean, really clean pool and it will come, and you can do it too. Good luck and if I can help I will try. These people are great.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Rcroller you are making some awesome progress!! Makes me think there is a sliver of hope for my weekend yet ! So guys I know that all the readings besides the fc is really a mute point as of now but since I was just starting I practiced with my test kit for the first time and tried to take what I could just to get an idea. First test. Ph 7.2 Alkalinity 70 Calcium hardness 400. FC 16 CC 9. After 40 minutes I checked just the fc and it was 9 so I went ahead and added 2 more gallons of 6%. I didn't test after the 2 extra just because it was supper time!! But I Will be adding before bed and testing once more and testing in the am before work and adding and testing before the sun is on it. Only bad thing is I have to leave it all day but I'm off Wednesday and plain to get to the pool store to get my new sand for when it's time to change the filter, and I plan on getting some 12% chlorine to help cut down on my trash. My truck bed is filling up fast!:eek: Will post pictures Tommorrow. I only got a before picture before it got dark on me!

- - - Updated - - -

Also as far as the color...it really did get dark on me fast. When I could really see it,right before dusk.. it looked just milky. But then when I got ready to come inside and only had the deck light on, it looked a pale green throughout. Don't know if that matters but since I couldn't get a picture...

So quick update. When I went to bed FC was 19 after I topped it up. This am it was still 16. I thought I may have tested wrong but nope. It was 16. Is that awesome or what?!? Or is it just because I started at night? Anyway. So I know she I get home I will be at 0 due to sunshine all day but I have enough bleach for tonight so I will make sure I'm topped off again and hope we can stay a little closer to same FC in the am. Plan on a good brushing and vacuum when I get home. Water looks not as shocking as I thought. Like lemon lime Gatorade with a little milk. Lol. Can't see bottom of course but can see down the sides. Promise promise to post picture when I get home.

I too am in process of converting. I'm in day 9, but I haven't been able to test and treat very often due to work and other projects. If you can devote a whole lot of time and a WHOLE lot of bottles of bleach, you can do it pretty quickly.
Find some bottles of concentrated bleach (8.25%) to speed it up. Walmart carries the great value 121oz jugs for $3. Might be able to find better deals at wholesale clubs, but both Costco and Sam's Club down here are about the same, $9 for a box of three, but then you have another box to dispose of. My thread is the "Been using baquacil for 6 summers...." I have some pics of my progress, and I'm finally getting there myself! rcroller4711 has done even better in a shorter time, so bleach away!! BTW, Leebo told me not to add CYA until the process is nearly over, otherwise you will have to use a bunch more bleach for the same result! You'll probably need about 60 bottles of bleach or more, so stock-up so you don't run-out like I have a couple of times. You will use them up VERY quickly!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Scott your right, i sure won't! Lol. So update from afternoon. So we were at 16 this am. When I tested at 6:30 this afternoon I was at 3! So I Backwashed and added 4 bottle of bleach. Brushed like crazy. Can see white stuff in the water but don't seem to be vacuuming any out?im sure I am but basket in filter hasn't had much besides a few leaves as of now. Some yellow pieces of gunk but not much at all. Checked FC after I cut my grass and it was back up to 15. Just went to check chlorine before bed and it was at 12.5 but since I only had one more bottle of bleach I figured I would hold off and put it In around 6 in the morning. Will be going to pool store when they open for 12% chlorine and will be able to add all day while I stain my deck ;) hope to lock this up a notch. Water is no longer green. Blue but cloudy of course but no tinge of green/yellow anymore. Tried to load pictures but it keeps telling me it's to big? Will try to get on comp. and load tomm.

Steeda, on day 2 and 3 was when my pool was at it's worse as far as color and goo floating at the top. I never seen much at all in my skimmer basket, it all went to the filter. I backwashed during that time about every 2-3 hours for about 40 seconds. Keep an eye on the filter pressure build up it's a good indicator.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

So today is my 3rd day... Well maybe 3.5 since I started Monday night. Lol. I never got to post yesterday but fc when I woke up was 12 fc so I added one more gallon of bleach. When I got home from pool store @ 3pm I tested and was only at 3 fc so I added the powder chlorine I got at pool place. It was 78 % of that main ingredient so it didn't take much. Put about 30 oz in and kept it at 15 the rest of the day. Back washed at 10 and added alittle more. Checked it at 11 before bed and fc was 19. This am at 8 it was still 19. Hadn't lost any. Water is beautiful besides the center of pool which has a crazy amount of white particals and leaves. I need to vacuum all that out when I get home today but should I try oclt one more time tonight to be sure or could I go ahead and change my sand once I vacuum this pm? Also I'm sorry I don't know cc. I was in such a rush for work I had my gf check it and she didn't know the extra step for that lol. Will post it this pm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.