Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are my results OK?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are my results OK?

Hi everyone. I have been reading this site all winter as we moved into a home with a pool in November (my first), and am pleased to say I haven't had any trouble with the pool so far, but it's only been open for a week, haha.

The pool is vinyl, has a SWG, and currently the water looks great. I've got all the equipment working properly and the water is clear (it was green when we opened, but cleared up nicely with SLAMing and has been great ever since. I think my test results are pretty good, I just want to confirm, because I'm not 100% sure of the CYA level since the water is cold (around 58 degrees.)

Most recent results are:
    FC: 5 -- this is slowly coming down after SLAMing but it's taking a while. Finally sunny today, so this might help?
    CC: 0.2 or less
    CYA: I think this is between 30 - 40 ppm, quite low anyway but I am finally registering some after the addition of 2kg of stabilizer when we opened and filled it up (pool is ~ 24500 gallons). Prior to that I wasn't getting any cloudiness at all. I don't want to add any more in case it goes too high. PoolMath had me adding like 4 kg or more. My SWG has a sticker in it that says recommended level for CYA is 20-30 ppm "if required"??
    TA: 100
    CH: 125
    pH: 7.5

If anyone could let me know if this sounds OK, that would be great. PoolMath keeps saying corrosion of plaster, but I'm not sure if that's a concern or not in a vinyl pool. I'm afraid to do anything to the pH since I believe I'm on the high side for TA???

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Heather

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are my results OK?

Your FC is just about perfect for a CYA of 40. The acceptable range is 2-7. I would keep it at 4-5.

Your CYA is a little low for a SWG but since it's not very hot yet it doesn't matter much. We generally recommend a higher CYA of 70-80 for SWG pools. Just be very careful not to overshoot. You can slowly creep up on that number as the water gets warmer, testing every week. Once you get to 70 your FC target will be 3-10.

You are correct about the CH, it doesn't matter because you have a vinyl surface. You probably only need to test that once or twice per year to make sure it's not getting too high from fill water.

I wouldn't worry about the TA. The SWG will slowly raise the pH. You will need to bring it back down by adding acid which also brings the TA down.

Also, it's a great idea to Edit Your Signature to include the details of your pool.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you very much JesseWV! I will do as you suggest and keep the FC as is. Trial and error for now as I figure out appropriate % and pump run time etc.. I can confirm that the pool is very refreshing currently (ie. FREEZING!) but didn't bleach out my suit or anything crazy.

I have to order more reagent for CYA tests. Got a little test happy and used it all up already. Oops.

Thanks again!
    Vinyl in-ground pool, around 24,570 gallons (93,000 litres), with SWG, sand filter, gigantic Jandy Legacy heater, Hayward SuperPump. Anything more please ask, new to all this!

4. Back To Top    #4

When you do get more CYA reagent, bring a water sample inside to warm up. Maybe set it in a sunny windowsill a while. Then do the CYA test. The others might change if the sit too long, so just do that for the CYA. It doesn't go away, as anyone who's inherited a pool-store mess will attest.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks, I'll definitely make sure to let it sit longer. I've let it warm up slightly but never left it too long for fear it would get wonky.
    Vinyl in-ground pool, around 24,570 gallons (93,000 litres), with SWG, sand filter, gigantic Jandy Legacy heater, Hayward SuperPump. Anything more please ask, new to all this!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll attest!!!!!!!!! 40, 000 gallons worth
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter