Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing Multi-port on Sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing Multi-port on Sand filter

Hey guys, I'm changing my sand (just finished baquacil conversion) and have so far, removed the plumbing going into the multi-port. I removed the top of the multiport and seen that there is only a port for water flow...so that can't be the way to get the sand out. The drain plug does have a larger plug that it screws into. I started loosening this larger plug and did get some sand coming out. However it does not remove, only spins. I tried tightening this same plug...and it won't tighten either. Any help is appreciated.

The filter is a WMC Corporation F600 sand filter.
    The Multi-port is made by Praher.

Thanks!

IG Vinyl - 18x36 - 21,800 gal. // Hayward C17502 Filter
    1.5 HP Mustang Single Speed Pump
    notes: SE Wisconsin Pool / No main drain in pool / Dolphin Advantage Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Removing Multi-port on Sand filter

Could you tip the filter on it's side and "wash" the sand out with a garden hose? That has worked for me.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The thing is pretty heavy (300lbs + sand). I took another look at the top, and it does look like what I thought was the top of the tank body, is actually the bottom of the multiport valve. I also went through the receipts from the former owner and she did have the sand changed often as well as had the internals inspected, So the MPV must have to come off...I just don't want to break it getting it off. I put a wooden handle in the waste and return ports to get some more leverage, and it just starts to spin the whole filter body. This is not going to end well...

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I would expect the multiport must screw off since I don't see a band clamp (there may very well be a real name for it, I'm new to this).
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

Yea, I was thinking the same. I still got get it to even budge though. I wouldn't think there would be any reason for it to be reverse threaded...so I haven't tried to really budge it the other way with any force. I'm just thinking...plastic. I don't want to crack it and have to replace something that works fine.

6. Back To Top    #6

Usually top mounts have a clamp ring holding the valve on the tank. I don't see one on your set up...

The whole multiport should come off the filter, though it's unclear how yours is staying on there. Did you remove a ring clamp that goes around the whole base of the valve at its interface with the filter body?

Looked on manufacturer website says:

• Choice of screw-down, bolt-down or clamp-down models
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

There was no clamp, nor any bolts. In the picture posted, all I had done was remove the pipes. If it is a screw down...they must have glued it...I'm using wooden handles (think garden tools) in the ports to get more leverage and this thing isn't budging at all.

I'm impressed you found the manufacturer website. I couldn't even find that!

- - - Updated - - -

My only alternative at this point is calling the pool store...and a receipt I saw they charged over $200 for the service.

8. Back To Top    #8

http://www.prahervalves.com/pagespool/filter.html

Detailed info is pretty limited though.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Does the conversion call for changing the sand? If not, do a thorough back wash and keep your pool running until you are prepared for Murphy's Law.

Looking up the model number of the MPV should tell you more about how it goes on.

10. Back To Top    #10

Jv had found the website for the valve, and of the 3 options available, mine HAS to be a screw in type of valve. The problem is it's so tight. I put as much torque on it as I feel comfortable with, and is still doesn't move.

The conversion calls for sand removal unfortunately.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Yikes man. It may be a question of what breaks first....I know nothing of Baquacil, so I don't know WHY you have to change the sand. Baquacil must be some serious stuff.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

12. Back To Top    #12

I know...that's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to break that valve and then have even bigger problems. Baquacil is the devil! Haha. It's frustrating for sure. I'm mechanically inclined, as I'm sure many here are...and it drives me nuts that I can't get this off. Looks like I may have to pay to learn a lesson here.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you have any sort of strap wrench, you could try wrapping that around the entire valve instead of potentially damaging the threads using the "stick method."

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

So . . . where are you at with it ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!