Intex Pool Help

May 19, 2014
Mobile,AL
Hello

I am installing a 22' x 52" pool I bought on Saturday. I have been working on getting the ground leveled and even put 12 x 12 blocks down (recessed) for each leg to rest on. After getting all of the prep work completed, installing the pool, I began to add the water. It was a little off , but I filled it anyway. Upon inspecting it yesterday morning, it is 4-5" off. I am draining the pool now. I guess not having the proper tools make this very difficult, are there any professionals that can level the ground and install the pool? I am an advocate of doing things myself, but I am frustrated to say the least.

Any advice or installers in the Mobile area?

it can be very frustrating! Don't give up, I had to re level mine 3 times before I got it "perfect". 4-5" is not good, good idea to drain it. My way consisted of 2X6 with level for circle, then I installed pavers and made sure all pavers were level from each other. Once I knew my pavers were perfectly level, I tied string between each paver and use a line level to make sure string was level. Then I just measured down from string in multiple spots checking the area for rises in dirt. It is very time consuming and painful but once you get it right it will be worth it. Don't know if I could spring the cash for an installer to come and do it? Or you could just go rent a laser level?

After dealing with a badly out of level, EasySet 16' pool last year, I set out to make sure I only had to install and fill our new 20' X 52" one time this year.

Get a self leveling laser level and a camera tripod. They don't have to be expensive ones. The laser doesn't have to be one of those that spins, all you need is a straight line. You can turn the tripod as you work your way around. Just make sure the tripod has bubble levels built in. This might set you back $100 at the most. Set the tripod up in the center of the pavers/pool (naturally, you will have to remove the pool to level again.) Level the tripod and turn on the laser. Take a tape measure and measure the laser mark on each paver. When you find the one with the tallest measurement, that will be your lowest paver. Now work your way around the circle lowering each one until they are the same measurement from the laser line. They will all be level. Now you can relevel your ground using a 2X6X12 pivoting on a stake in the center. It will be so close to perfect when you're done you won't notice any difference from one side to another.

Here is the link to my pool build. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73855-Our-L-A-(Lower-Arkansas)-pool-install/page2

To give you an idea, my pavers sitting on top of my "level" sand were from 23 1/4" to 22" below my laser line. I leveled the 23 1/4" one, then moved clockwise around the circle digging under each paver until they were all 23 1/4" below my laser line.

Here's a nice kit. I would have bought this one if I hadn't found one to borrow. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-Self-Leveling-Cross-Line-Laser-Level-Kit-40-0921/202258059

Thanks for all the info and support. I got a transit from work today ( wish I knew we had one last week) and a pump to get all the water out. I am going to move the pool , use the transit , and get it right this time. Thanks again, will keep you posted.

Well I removed the old pool, which was only 16' and it was lower. I dug out the circumference and took a 2x4 with a level from the center out. Problem with that is you can only level one side at a time...lesson learned. Pool is almost drained now, going to take it down tomorrow and do it the correct way

In the picture, it looks like you back filled some low spots. Might have been part of the trouble if that is the case.

Just my two cents and probably already your plan. I would use the transit along with the 2X4 level. Just check yourself every foot or so around the circumference to keep yourself level with center.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright... I finished the pool Friday and got it filled. It is within an 1" level. I also added a Hayward skimmer and hardpiped it with pvc. I am attaching several pics preparing the ground, I used the old pool as a mat for the bottom. I am proud and we enjoyed it all weekend.pool prep.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.