Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help: replace water or not after algea cleanup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help: replace water or not after algea cleanup?

So long story short, several things went wrong over the winter and I found myself faced with a very green pool. After a few days of slamming the pool, brushing, and running the pump 24x7, it is starting to clear up. My question is whether or not I should replace the water once it is fairly clean. The reason I'm asking is that I saw little organisms in the water when I first uncovered the pool. I'm guessing that all of them were killed by the bleach and that most if not all were filtered out, but still feel a bit queasy knowing that they were in there in the first place. I have a vinyl lining and I've read that it's not good to drain all the way, so wondering if I should or should not risk damage to the lining to replace the water. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Need help: replace water or not after algea cleanup?

There is no reason to replace water, unless you really feel strongly about it. "Stuff" gets into the pool all the time. The chlorine kills it and the filter filters it out and you end up with clean water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Bleach will kill it. Plenty of people have fished drowned rats and squirrels and frogs and snakes out of their pools. Plenty of people have swum in rivers and lakes and survived and who knows what's in them?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I do feel better now.