Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Holders PVC

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover Holders PVC

Just wondering if anyone would like to share their PVC contraptions for holding the solar cover and tools regarding an Intex AGP. Gonna buy some PVC tonight to make my own and would like to know what sizes etc worked out for you. Thanks in advance!
    Intex 18x48/2650 Sand/56601E SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover Holders PVC

There are some good examples in old posts. Do some searching and you should turn up a couple fairly easily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is my setup:

I did it all in 1" pvc, a little overkill but they are solid, even when the kids run into them, they don't move! I put some velcro straps under the hose clamps as well.

I found the brush/skimmer holders at home depot, and used some velcro straps to hang them, I'm not even sure what they were originally used for.
    Intex AG 14'x42" Ultra Frame | 3357 Gal (3500 Gal from pool calc.)
    Intex 16" Sand Filter/2650 gph pump & Intex 54601EG SWG, Hayward SP1091LX thru-the-wall Skimmer, Intex Magnetic Pool Light, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir & Sample Sizer.
    Our first little Intex pool project...

4. Back To Top    #4

Pretty nifty haco!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

This one look nice: (i ordered it)

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...-Tube-Set.html
    Our Build 2016 14.5' x 26' IG Pebble, 14.5K Gal. 3.5' - 6.5' deep, 5 returns, 2 Skimmers, Hayward VS pump, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward E-Command 4, Heliocol Solar, Hayward LED Light, Paramount Ultraviolet, Polaris 280, AquaRite Pro, T-CELL-15, Sense and Dispense (HL-CHEM), Ph Dispense System (AQL-CHEM3) , Taylor K-2006 with SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Great Idea!
    *Cheap to make
    *No drilling required
    *Removable for winter storage
    *Works with Intex ultra frame pools

Thanks for sharing!

7. Back To Top    #7

My timing was just perfect in reading this idea. Was just about ready to order a commercial solar cover holder. As I work in a hardware store, I figure I'll save about $70.00 by building my own cover holder. Thank you Haco for all of the ideas.

8. Back To Top    #8

great ideas, thanks for sharing.....I have a project now for the weekend.

9. Back To Top    #9

LOVE IT! Just what I was looking for!
    18' x 48" Above ground Intex metal frame 6,423 Gal
    Purchased Used (Approximately 3 years old) but new to us.
    110-120 volt Filter Pump with 1,500 gallon (5,678 L) per hour flow rate (Intex)
    Water is from a well

10. Back To Top    #10

Hacoba - for each of the 'hook/holders' is that 3 separate pieces of PVC pipe and 2 elbows connecting the pieces?

It doesn't come like that right?
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

11. Back To Top    #11

After looking at what you made I decided to have a go... Here is what I cam up with.

I ended up with 2 different sizes because I did just 3 holders the first day thinking that would be enough but it wasn't holding quite right. The next day when I made them I had forgotten that I changed my original measurements. It's OK though because I really like how it works. The PVC is attached with Tie wraps then covered with pool noodles I found that had a large center hole (material is about 1/2 inch thick). The HW store did not have enough end caps so I improvised and used duct tape.

The larger hooks are cut 16", 12" and 14". The 16" length is attached to the pole. The smaller hooks are 14", 10" 12". Honestly it would have been fine to have them all this size. If so I could have gotten 3 hangers out of one 10' length of PVC. Oh and I used 1" PVC. I also did glue mine together with PVC Cement.

I just love how easy it is to pull my cover off all by myself! It takes a few minutes walking back and forth but I can have it off in about 5 minutes. Putting it back on is a bit trickier but I've had help each time and still is about 5 minutes.

I also made cup holders with some spare 3" PVC. I need to make a few adjustments but I'm pretty darn happy with them!

I also found some bungee cords with nice rounded ends to hold my skimmer/vac pole and hoses! No more hauling from the garage!

Thanks all for your awesome ideas!
    Last edited by Back2BasicsMom; 06-30-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: add pic
    18' x 48" Above ground Intex metal frame 6,423 Gal
    Purchased Used (Approximately 3 years old) but new to us.
    110-120 volt Filter Pump with 1,500 gallon (5,678 L) per hour flow rate (Intex)
    Water is from a well

12. Back To Top    #12

Those are all pretty good ideas!
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.