North Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Although I'm on my 3rd pool, this is my first one with a "water feature" - that is, the water return waterfall from the spa to the main pool. After reading about the effects of aeration in the various forum threads (related to method for reducing TA), I now wonder if I'm "stuck" with always chasing pH. I'm essentially getting 8 hours a day of at least some aeration (not as extensive as some of the rigs I've seen here, but, still some) which would seem to constantly put "pressure" on increasing pH, which I then have to lower with MA. Am I just stuck in this loop? The only thing I can think to do is close off the return to the spa so there would no longer be a waterfall but then the spa would be "stagnant".

Welcome to TFP!

Lower your TA down to around 60 and see how things go. If the waterfall isn't to large that might be enough. If that doesn't do it, add borates and lower TA down to 40 or 50, which will either take care of it completely or at least slow down the frequency with which you need to add acid dramatically.

Although I'm on my 3rd pool, this is my first one with a "water feature" - that is, the water return waterfall from the spa to the main pool. After reading about the effects of aeration in the various forum threads (related to method for reducing TA), I now wonder if I'm "stuck" with always chasing pH. I'm essentially getting 8 hours a day of at least some aeration (not as extensive as some of the rigs I've seen here, but, still some) which would seem to constantly put "pressure" on increasing pH, which I then have to lower with MA. Am I just stuck in this loop? The only thing I can think to do is close off the return to the spa so there would no longer be a waterfall but then the spa would be "stagnant".
I have a 3-way valve that regulates the return flow between pool and spa. I have it closed way down, so the spa always gets some fresh return, but the overflow isn't exactly a raging waterfall. I also stuck an old spray can cap over the air intake for the spa return, which minimizes the bubbles. And I keep TA down to 60-70 most of the time. That all helps slow the rise. My hard water replenishes the TA every time I top off.

Thanks to both - my TA is at 95, so I'll get it lower - forgot to mention it's new plaster (pretty significant omission!), so I'm contending with that as well - I have the same 3-way valve arrangement and will throttle that a bit more

And thx for the welcome - big believer in the TFP concept/approach - started with Pool Solutions/Forum back in the late 90's

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.