Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you guys use to aid in breakdown of suntan lotion and other chemcials?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you guys use to aid in breakdown of suntan lotion and other chemcials?

I know there are items in the stores that you can buy to help breakdown all the oils in lotions that swimmers bring into your pool. Do you guys have any recommendations?
    My buddy that has owned a pool all of his life swears by Pool Perfect by Natural Chemistry.
    20,000 gallon
    IG Vinyl Foxx
    Hayward S244T Pro Series Top-Mount 24-Inch Sand Filter with 1-1/2-Inch Vari-Flo Valve
    Pump ?
    Age of pool = 15 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do you guys use to aid in breakdown of suntan lotion and other chemcials?

Chlorine maintained at the proper levels does just fine. Assuming a normal 30-50 CYA level, I would recommend raising the FC a few ppm above normal before a heavy bather load. It wouldn't hurt to raise it some afterwards either. It all depends on the CYA level though.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

3. Back To Top    #3

What do you guys use to aid in breakdown of suntan lotion and other chemcials?

You could ask the people that lather up with the lotion to wait for 20 mins before they jump in. That way some of it will be absorbed in.
    There is also a product called a Scum Ball. You put it in the skimmer and it absorbs oils and things like that. Poo store has them and they get fairly good reviews from people on the forum.
    I don't have any experience with the pool perfect. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Re: What do you guys use to aid in breakdown of suntan lotion and other chemcials?

Pool Perfect seems to work. I know additional chlorine will work, too, and you don't have to make a trip to the store to buy it!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I've heard that a tennis ball in the skimmer also works.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV View Post
    I've heard that a tennis ball in the skimmer also works.
    Forgot about that. I've heard that also. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.